MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M35 Double Decal Combat Police Helmet for opinions

Article about: Hi folks, I'm considering a combat police helmet, and wanted to see if there are any flags with this one? It's stamped ET64 Price is in the ballpark of \\$1000, which is within a couple hundre

MAP
    ?

I would not be concerned. As noted. This helmet has seen three owners and while in very good shape, has definitely been heavily used. I would think it is very possible for a helmet with the use yours had,to have broken a pin.

Could it have been post war? Yes. But I think the evidence leads me to believe that is was period.

Either way, all the parts are original and it's a great looking lid.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Double Decal Combat Police Helmet for opinions
    P
    Many

I was surprised to see the dated pin. We seem to benefit from the thoroughness of the Germans.

Does the rear pin have the same patina as the others inside ?
    As said pins could have been changed wartime but the patina must be there.

I don't have the discerning eye you guys have, but if I were to make a judgement I'd say the rear pin's patina is visibly darker than the front two. The front two match and are very similar to the aluminum bands that form the liner. The back one is a little more brown toned than the other two. All three pins look like they have a washer on the inside that the prongs go through before being bent. Is that a separate part? All three pins washers match their respective pins. The front two don't have much play at all and are pretty tight fitting, the back one is a little loose and can rattle a bit.

Schwerpunkt, I managed to safely get a few photos of the pins after all. Not awesome photos, but I think good enough to see what I'm seeing.

And so it begins. My first reference book, and a step into the world of the serious collector.

MAP
    ?

Definitely one of the required reference books. But to repeat what someone said here, this is just part of the equation. Studying helmets in hand as well as threads here and other forums are the other part....

Enjoy the book. I've read it a couple of times and refer to it all the time. The only major problem with this and other helmet reference books is that to my knowledge no one has a decent section on chinstraps....

And save your money...Ken is coming out with a new book focused on decals I am told

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Just wrapping things up by posting the last pictures from my study of this helmet.

Liner info taken from feldgrau.nl - "Liner sizes 56-57 cm are for shell size 64 cm and are considered Medium"

Liner leather ink stamp font "seems" like a circa 1939 Werner Zahn...

Liner band are Metall-Lederverarbeitung Werner Zahn and dated 1940

The other side's stamps I am unable to get a photo of, but they say:

64 n.A.
    ______

Final pin study:

Thanks again to all that helped and offered guidance! This helmet provided quite the education.

MAP
    ?

Great pictures and really good thread for people.

Still think it's a great lid.

Interesting development over at German Helmets Walhalla. I posted this helmet to the site, and the first owner who claims to have found the helmet in a garage in Grasse France is a member there. He posted photos of the helmet while in his possession and has informed me the anomalies such as the rear mismatched rivet/split pin, and the liner currently in the helmet were present on it when he found it. The only thing different is that the chinstrap is not the one it was found with. So, it would appear anything that was modified on this helmet was done during war time.

But, as if that isn't enough for relief, he had a bonus to share. The name on the helmet liner is Herrmann Schulte-Holthaus, who apparently went on to continue service in the police force. He was shot and killed in the line of duty June 15, 1972:

.:: ODMP ::.

We even have a photo of him:

They say all's well that ends well. I'm thankful the gentleman saw my thread at GHW and chimed in. I can keep the info with it from here, should it travel from my possession down the road. In any case, thought a few people over here might find this interesting.

Scott
    Last edited by avenger; 10-26-2015 at 01:33 AM.

I would say that, if and when correct, an ID such this would would make this helmet more desirable than a lot of other examples perhaps in better condition --- the info on the components when in as found state is a big plus as well. Just goes to show that this kind of diligence and persistence pays off! Congrats again!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast