Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?

Article about: Hey folks, I found this M35 at a local antique shop. The seller says it is an original Chicken wired M35. How does it look? He wants \\$600 for it. Looks like the size manufacturer stamp has b

Default M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?

Hey folks, I found this M35 at a local antique shop. The seller says it is an original Chicken wired M35. How does it look? He wants $600 for it. Looks like the size manufacturer stamp has been painted over...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?   M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?  

M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?   M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?  

M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?   M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 German Helmet Chickenwire Original?
    P
    Many

From the pics...the helmet has been post war abused. Replaced liner..repainted..nothing good here IMO

RealSteel - what makes you think that the liner has been replaced? I am not the OP, Just trying to learn.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote by real steel View Post
    From the pics...the helmet has been post war abused. Replaced liner..repainted..nothing good here IMO

Nick,

You can see the two different colors of paint in your last picture. The darker olive green paint around the outside, but then look under the liner a more greyish color.. Not worth $600...

Smitty

It is bent, crimped & no paint on the edges of the linerband. If it were period re- painted with the original tight liner in place, there would be green paint on the edges. On top of that, it's an M35 helmet. It left the factory with an aluminum linerband, not a steel wartime liner as this possesses. Look at the second to last pic of the front of the linerband...how tight it is to the shell. Why no green overpaint on it ? At the 11:00 position, the chip reveals the original factory green paint. That is not the paint it left the factory in, nor the liner.

Happy to explain. It's what I see.

Thanks RealSteel. I really appreciate you taking the time to help us that are still learning. I did notice that it seemed way too tight to the edge. The other things are new to me and I will add them to the things that I look for. Thanks

Nick

As far as the wire being original..probably not. Pics 7,8,10...show complete wear of paint along the edges. If the wire was in place during the period, there would be no wear on the edges, being the wire would be protecting the edges from the paint wearing away if helmet sat on a surface.

Thank you gentlemen

Morning, David has "nailed it" once more. A post war abused helmet sadly. that "frosting" look around the wire is also a common fakers tool. Just spray on a reactive substance and wipe off clean the areas between the wire and hey presto! A couple of hours later you have an apparent contact mark. Leon.

Also looks like someone has been digging for decals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast