MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg

Article about: Hello, Just looking for opinions on this early bird straight leg. Do not have helmet in hand, only going off of pics. One thing I was curious about is under the Tri color decal appears to be

Default M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg

Hello, Just looking for opinions on this early bird straight leg. Do not have helmet in hand, only going off of pics. One thing I was curious about is under the Tri color decal appears to be either some bubbling, or decal applied over top of sawdust remnants. thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg   M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg  

M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg   M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg  

M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg   M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg
    P
    Many

What a beautiful shade of blue this helmet has taken on over the years. It started as that nice lighter shade of ET Luft blue, then decades of basement or attic storage, resulting in a nicely toned helmet with honest patina. This is not including the somewhat current rusting in the damaged areas. The inside is basically damage free, but the exterior has taken on what appears to be post war abuse. Like it was rolling around in the bed of a pick up truck.
    Would like better shots of the decals, especially the nat.colors. Odd damage to it.

By the way...no sawdust on this. That's the factory smooth paint

Best I can do with better enlarged pics on the decals
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg   M35 Luftwaffe Double Decal Early bird Straight leg  

To me the decals look fine. A representative example with some condition issues, but to me 100% real. Jim G.

I didn't see the other thread on the same helmet. I agree with what was said in that thread.

Hi, for me, another decent but totally original helmet. I see no issues other than condition myself. Leon.

Thank you for the comments everyone.

I am amazed that so much paint actually adhered to the helmets after so many decades when you think of their preparation ( or lack thereof )
    The helmets were formed then hardened - heated cherry red then oil quenched - this hardens the steel but forms a scale that would not have been taken off prior to painting the oil based paint onto the surface ( maybe even still warm when sprayed to encourage curing ). However, scale has ferrous oxides in it so basically the steel is somewhat 'rusty' BEFORE the paint was put on - and this example shows it well as the paint has flaked away ..... they were just "noggin buckets" after all and made as fast as possible.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Great information and understandable explanation! I always wondered why we see scaling on these helmets. In my experience, I have observed this phenomena most often on M42 EF shells. Thanks again Dan, Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Great information and understandable explanation! I always wondered why we see scaling on these helmets. In my experience, I have observed this phenomena most often on M42 EF shells. Thanks again Dan, Jim G.
    HI Jim,
    Maybe the M35 pre-war production lines took more care with pre-painting surface prep ( as did the factory reissues when they disassembled and completely redid the helmets ) - but from when they changed to the manganese steel from the molybdenum for the m40 model, the quench ( whether oil or brine ) still left the surface vulnerable to corrosion.

I’m sure the later ones didn’t even get much of a wash down after being quickly “hot stamped” and painting them seemed to become really an afterthought and as the years went on got thinner and thinner until the ( so-called ) “dichromate wash” ones towards wars end.
    We know that for some items such as Jerry cans, primer was used and base prep was carried out but with helmets it was more important that they had good ballistics performance than paint adherence.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "