Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hello, Here are a few pictures of the German helmet I bought for a mere 350 francs some twenty years ago in Toulouse, in the South of France. I later added a pair of chin straps, which I rec

?

Default M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?

Hello,

Here are a few pictures of the German helmet I bought for a mere 350 francs some twenty years ago in Toulouse, in the South of France. I later added a pair of chin straps, which I recently discovered were not authentic but the interior is original. The helmet had been painted a horrible green so I did my best to restore it to its 'original' state. My attempt was not entirely successful, I must admit

Best regards,

Didier

M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 or M40 Stahlhelm?

Hi Didier. It looks like a reissued M35. That is, an M35 that was refurbished at a depot, repainted to later war specs of textured paint, no decals and a new liner if needed. From the inside and exposed base layer of paint on the left side, this one may have been a Luftwaffe helmet.

Hope this helps,
    Andy

?

Wow, thanks a lot, Andy! I did not expect such a complete analysis of my helmet. I always thought there were the traces of a decal on the left hand side, though, because the remaining green paint seems to be in the shape of the typical German helmet decals.

Cheers,

Didier

That decal outline does appear to be Heer to my eyes.

?

Which seems to confirm Andy's theory, then...

On second thought (and after having had a look at my documentation), this does not look anything like the outline of a Luftwaffe eagle!

?

You were absolutely right about the liner : I checked and saw the date 1941 on the liner band, so the liner must indeed have been replaced, as this is a M35 helmet