Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M35 NS64 overpaint

Article about: I have had this one a while and was taking photos with a new camera today. I have always wondered about the finish on this helmet. On the front the finish seems very thin and I can't tell if

Default M35 NS64 overpaint

I have had this one a while and was taking photos with a new camera today. I have always wondered about the finish on this helmet. On the front the finish seems very thin and I can't tell if there was ever anything under the finish, if the helmet may have been bare metal in spots on the outside or if it is just an anomoly with the way the metal looks. Any thoughts on it are appreciated. I have posted this before and it was believed to be war period correct refinish with a flaking decal. I tried to take some close ups of the spot in question and a few of the entire helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 NS64 overpaint   M35 NS64 overpaint  

M35 NS64 overpaint   M35 NS64 overpaint  

M35 NS64 overpaint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 NS64 overpaint
    P
    Many

Nice helmet!
    My added circles show edges of the decal applied OVER the gritty over-paint ( probably sand added ) but why the helmet looks so bare underneath it is a mystery ( almost has a silver look to it in exposed places ) If the liner and insides weren't so nice I would say post war refinish of a stripped shell.
    But, there could be a host of good reasons why it was stripped or sanded during the war before the field refinish ..... one I wouldn't mind owning.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 NS64 overpaint  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi, well I think it is ok, why it has thinner areas of paint is any ones guess, it looks like at least one layer of the over paint was brush applied, so maybe the surface was just naturally worn down? Leon.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

?

I like it too, and as mentioned, there are many number of reasons the paint finish could be that way.

Brad.