Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 SD Heer markings question

Article about: I have a M35 SD (was double decal) Heer helmet that has had the national insignia on the right side removed and later camouflage painted in ordnance tan. The helmet is made/marked ET64. On t

Default M35 SD Heer markings question

I have a M35 SD (was double decal) Heer helmet that has had the national insignia on the right side removed and later camouflage painted in ordnance tan. The helmet is made/marked ET64. On the inside rear is hand painted in gothic letters: U.Az.Gulovics. What does the U.Az. (which could also be U.Hz.) mean and is there a place I can look up the name Gulovics (which is not a German name). Much thanks - Van

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 SD Heer markings question
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 SD Heer markings question SOLVED!!!

I've solved the question! It says U.ff.z not U.H.z!!!! And I found him! Here is the info: This helmet is believed to have been owned by Unteroffizier (Sergeant) Franz Gulovics. Unteroffizier Gulovics was born on November 25th 1903 and was Killed In Action (KIA) on March 29th 1943 in North Afrika. He is buried in the Bordj-Cendria
    (Tunisia) cemetary Hof NAS Ossario 2 Plate 23.

The inside is marked 4673 on the rear of the rim and ET64 on the inside left of the rim, indicating manufacture by Eisen-und
    Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, size 64.

Default Re: M35 SD Heer markings question

Sounds like a nice lid! Any chance at posting some pics?
    Cheers!
    Rob

Default Re: M35 SD Heer markings question

This is the DAK M35. The Heer shield on the left side is present while the National Colors on the right has been removed. Much of the camouflage tan is present. I've owned this helmet for about 15 years, and now that I have the provenance of the owner serving in North Africa I am pleased:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 SD Heer markings question   M35 SD Heer markings question  

PeterBurgess
    ?

HI There,

My name is Peter Burgess and my father married Elisabeth Gulovics, daughter of Franz Gulovics. The history you outline concurs with our personal records, so it looks like the helmet was worn by my grandfather.

Regards

Peter Burgess, Tewin, UK.

What a cool twist to this story! I see that this member was been online at least earlier this year so maybe you can get in touch... would be quite the family heirloom imo!

?

Wow, you don't see these inputs every day! The world is smaller than one think.. I hope it's okay to post this here, but I googled him and found this site where you can find the helmet. I don't know if it's the owner who put it there but anyhow there is good information. German Unteroffizer Franz Gulovics - 334th Infantry Division

//Al

devil's advocate here but what makes this particular helmet belong to the person talked about for sure ?
    I have many named helmets , I'm sure I can pull a file from someone with a similar last name ? Unless one can prove for sure there was only one Gulovics in the entire German army.

I kind of missed there not actually being a first name present in this helmet, even then I do realize that you may not have the right individual --- easy to get carried away when not paying 100% attention. That said, with enough info provided I believe one can do a good id of the helmet's original owner as well... for this one, as I see upon further inspection of the op's initial post -- it is indeed sketchy at best.

Amazing story. Incredible what an internet search can do, making history come true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast