Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals

Article about: I have had this for at least a decade, a gun show buy at the Big E. *I have always liked odd balls and this one fits that bill. *It is one of only a handful of reissue Police helmets I have

Default M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals

I have had this for at least a decade, a gun show buy at the Big E. *I have always liked odd balls and this one fits that bill. *It is one of only a handful of reissue Police helmets I have encountered over the years with SET BACK*decals. *It is an SE66 M35, lot # 3873, complete with a reinforced aluminum banded liner and shortened chin strap. *The leather of the liner is sweat stained, NOT post War Norwegian red dyed! *All of the SE's listed on the lot # database at GHW in this lot number range are "reissue" Heer helmets. *This one was reissued as a double decal Combat Police helmet, with a thick coat of brush applied matte black paint and a standard set of *Police decals applied BEHIND the vent bushings. *The bordered Adler is the type often seen on TR Civic Fire/Police helmets, and the set back location of the decals is similar to where we see decals on M34 shells. *The liner appears to be the original factory installed liner, and there are traces of the black paint , which was also applied on the interior of the apron up to the liner, on the liner band. *This is the only matte black M35 I have and I often lament that*the decals aren't SS decals (!) , but I really like it none the less. *Hope you do too! *Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals   M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals  

M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals   M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals  

M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals   M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals  

M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals
    P
    Many

Hi Jim
    An oddball it is !! Guess we can assume used by fire police with the black paint...or maybe some branch more sinister ? Bet it looks just fine in hand.
    D.

Never seen that one before ... looks good though

A very interesting helmet with very unusual decal placement. I've never seen one like that.

David makes the comment, "or maybe some branch more sinister", and that should remind us that the grey Polizei decal helmet were not just worn by "corner cops" checking papers. Many were of course, but others were more involved in the sharp end.

M35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police DecalsM35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police DecalsM35 SE66 Double Decal Police Reissue Helmet - Lot # 3873 - Set Back Police Decals

Like the 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division, drawn from uniformed Police officers but commanded by the SS. Under those SS helmet covers lurk Polizei decal helmets. And something more than sinister happened at Distomo, Greece in 1944 at the hands of these former Policemen.

A very interesting helmet Jim! Especially the placement of the decals. Have never encountered SET BACK decals. Interested in learning more about this intriguing helmet.

Thanks for the interest Gentlemen. Don L. also has one with set back decals (surprise surprise!). I haven't yet seen pictures of his, but from his description his has evidence of chunky camo paint around the split pin heads and air vents that had been removed before the final coat of medium green pain and the Police decals were applied. This one is not a one off, but certainly is fairly rare. Jim G.

Nice one Jim, i have come across the odd "set back" decal in the past, a very unusual configuration. Just goes to show that as long as the decals all "add up" in authenticity, application and wear/patina to a helmet, then anything is possible!! Leon.