Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 vs M40

Article about: Some interesting reading there gents. Especially the weights and percentage breakdowns. Thanks for posting.

Default M35 vs M40

Hi all! I have a thing that is bothering me, and that is the difference between those 2 helmet types (forget the air vent).

Im thinking about structure, steel thickness, weight. When i look at the helm pictures i usually see that the M35 rolled rim is a bit "smaller" than the one on the M40.
    And did the weight increase by the size of the helmet? Its not the same if the 60 weights the same as 68 (than the steel would be thinner on the bigger one). I think it did increase the weight. And what about the ballistic difference?
    You can see in this manufacturing video (2.05 minute mark) how a helmet is getting shot and deflects the bullet, IMO just propaganda no way it could deflect a rifle round from that near.
    The German helmet Production in WW2 - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 vs M40
    P
    Many

The steel was different too and therefore the way it was processed was different. I think M35s were a molybdenum alloy steel and M40's a less costly carbon steel.......

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Found something interesting, that is for the M35.

Size 60 for head size 53, weight 810 – 930 grams
    Size 62 for head size 55, weight 880 – 1000 grams
    Size 64 for head size 57, weight 920 – 1070 grams
    Size 66 for head size 59, weight 1000 – 1125 grams
    Size 68 for head size 61, weight 1025 – 1170 grams
    Size 70 for head size 63, weight 1060 – 1230 grams
    All of these weights are measured without the liner and chinstrap.

The helmet is formed from sheet steel between 1.1 and 1.2 mm thick. At no point is the thickness less than 0.95 mm. It is seamlessly stamped and the entire rim is crimped inwardly to a width of about 5 mm. The size of the helmet is so measured that the entire inside surface stands away 20 mm from the wearer’s head. Holes to accommodate the liner- retaining rivets are located at the rear center of the helmet and on each forward side, slightly ahead of each temple. On each side are also openings for the insertion of the ventilation bushings. The lower portion of the helmet extends outward at the sides and rear to form a throat (sic) and neck apron. The edge of the apron is horizontal so that the helmet sits in a level manner when it is placed on an eve surface.

The helmet is coated inside and out with a rust-proofing grey-blue paint. The army uses a matte grey paint. Applied three millimeters under the ventilation holes are: a) on the right side, a shield-shaped device in the Reich’s colors (black/white/red), and b) on the left side, the service insigne of the Luftwaffe in a silver-grey color (for generals, technicians and officials of general rank a gold colored insigne).

The central axis of the insigne must fall exactly in the center of the ventilation hole and must be perpendicular to the rim of the helmet. The shield 3.3 cm wide and 4 cm high. The colors must be weatherproof.

The helmet is manufactured in five sizes: 60, 62, 64, 66 and 68. This means that the inner circumference of the helmet at the point where the dome meets the apron is the measured size. The intermediate sizes are achieved by variations in the size of the liner.

There are also 70 and 72 shells but extremely rare and ridiculously giga-rare respectively.

Ridiculously giga-rare is a legitimate measurement of rarity.

Aesthetically speaking, only Quist really recapitulates the graceful lines of its M35 into its M40's. The other 4 firms products are somewhat clunky and thick looking....in my opinion.

I like all three helmet types - the subtle/minute differences
    between them doesn't matter to me - although it is
    good to know what these slight differences are.

Thanks for posting the list of weights.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    There are also 70 and 72 shells but extremely rare and ridiculously giga-rare respectively.

Ridiculously giga-rare is a legitimate measurement of rarity.
    I would say that kind of "rare" is just for 72 and 74. The 70 is "common".

I don't know DTP, 70's must account for a tiny % of all production. I've only ever seen about 4 or 5. I suppose an individual's concept of rarity is subjective though. I forgot about 74's. Never even seen a 72 or 74. All three were outside of normal production ranges and were only made to order I believe.

I found the percentage of them made (estimated).

60 - 10%
    62 - 15%
    64 - 40%
    66 - 20%
    68 - 10%
    70 - 5%

Others were just special order.

Sounds about right, I'd put more into 64 though I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast