Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 Camo Full-Basket Wire

Article about: Hi All, The story with this one is that it was brought back by a vet of aTank Destroyer Battalion. The reason why the wire looks so good after all these years is that it is zinc coated. The

Default M40 Camo Full-Basket Wire

Hi All,
    The story with this one is that it was brought back by a vet of aTank Destroyer Battalion. The reason why the wire looks so good after all these years is that it is zinc coated. The pattern of the wire transfers nicely to the helmet; in some areas the transference is perfect. There was a Heer decal under the wartime repaint.
    Tight fitting liner system is 100% original to the helmet. All three split rivet fasteners are untouched, complete and intact with the slotted washers. Full length drawstring with original knot is still in place. Chinstrap is present and pretty pliable, but date on tip has worn away. Name written inside liner looks like 'Bonig'. Stamping inside rear is 541; stamping on inside left is ET64. I tried to move the tight fitting wire as best I could to show imprint on helmet. Lots here to enjoy!
    M40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket WireM40 Camo Full-Basket Wire
    Thanks, Max

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Camo Full-Basket Wire
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M40 Camo Full-Basket Wire

There are no wear marks on the edges of the helmet where the wire wraps around the edges. Nor are there any wire wear marks on the body of the helmet. Zinc coated wire still rusts. The wire is new. The helmet appears to have been vacume bagged. Dust applied to helmet and wiped away in the openings.
    Sorry

?

That wire sure look new ...

i'll pass for sure on this one..especially due to the chicken wire

?

The wire looks bad to me too. Real wire would be worn at the bottom, and it would fit more loosely, so that camoflauge could be stuffed under it.

Nitram

Thanks guys....can't win em' all!

I actually like it, does anyone remember the deriding that 'Jim in Ohio' got for his wire covered helmet? Nearly everyone who commented was wrong. I'll stick my neck out for it, the white rust is atypical for quality wire of this period.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I love you Ned! I don't think you're sticking your neck out either.

Thanks, Max

I think that again the pictures are too poor to make an evaluation. I don't see the overpaint you are talking about , it looks like the factory paint to me , in that case the decal must be there.

?

Quote by Max Hansen View Post
    I love you Ned! I don't think you're sticking your neck out either.

Thanks, Max
    Nice bit of man love you guys got going there ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast