Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 Camo Surprise

Article about: It is a nice looking lid now - so much better than the hideous 'camo' that was on there before. I know how hard it is to get remaining areas of more recent paint off by the acetone method...

Smile M40 Camo Surprise

Hi guys, this one won't be new to a few of you as I have posted it elsewhere but I am a newb here and would like to share some of my bits and pieces

I picked up this M40 off eBay last year, I had no illusions at all that the camo was original so I stripped it off with acetone, I started at the vents admittedly hunting a decal. Sadly none to be had but white paint began peeking through which did not seem to be affected by the acetone. I swiftly changed my mind about giving the thing a new coat of paint

M40 Camo SurpriseM40 Camo SurpriseM40 Camo SurpriseM40 Camo SurpriseM40 Camo Surprise

In the right light there also seems to be a 2 or 3 tone camo finish under the white layer, but it is very darkened and faint and I've not been able to photograph it properly yet, you can see part of it as splotches of brown on these pics.

This is one of my favourite helmets, I think mostly because it was such a surprise. Also, there are a couple of hairline cracks on the dome of the lid, which IMO were caused by very extreme cold (eastern front?) followed by a sharp shock, possibly the helmet was dropped on the dome. Not battle damage IMO because the steel is not malformed in any way. This was probably the reason the lid was abandoned, and subsequently why it is on my shelf, so I must sincerely thank Uffz Butterfingers for this

The liner cord in the pic is a half decent copy to fill the gap but it is now removed to take the stress off the liner leather when I display it on a stand .

I really like this one, hope you guys do too

Oh and PS, before any eagle eyed collectors notice; I added the repro chinstrap myself along with the liner cord

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Camo Surprise
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 Camo Surprise

Nice save - good work on this one. Jim G.

looks a lot nicer it astounds me what idiot goes a paints a decent helmet to make it look stupid!!
    once again well done you have done really well

Quote by talltom View Post
    looks a lot nicer it astounds me what idiot goes a paints a decent helmet to make it look stupid!!
    once again well done you have done really well
    My thoughts exactly. I bet that idiot was really pleased with his nice blue helmet afterwards too............

Thanks you for your words

Well do.
    chris

Good job
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Who restitched the liner with brilliant white thread

Quote by davejb View Post
    Who restitched the liner with brilliant white thread
    I'll add a pic of that when I get a moment but I am sure it has not been messed with.

M40 Camo SurpriseM40 Camo Surprise

Shots of that liner stitching. It is fine IMO

Some new pics of this one taken today for a member, this seemed as good a place as any to put them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Camo Surprise   M40 Camo Surprise  

M40 Camo Surprise   M40 Camo Surprise  

M40 Camo Surprise  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast