Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Chinstrap

Article about: Most liners up to 66 shells have only 8 fingers mate, the smaller ones sometimes have fewer than 8. I have a 66/59 with 8.5 fingers, as they get bigger the 9th finger grows. I've seen 9.5 fi

?

Default M40 Chinstrap

Hello,

I am looking to buy this M40 helmet. It's for a restoration project. The originality of the helmet is already destroyed but the liner is good. The shell too of course. ET64 LOT No 939. Is it possible to judge the chinstrap from these pics? I can buy the helmet for not much more than an original liner costs. I would like to know if i should also pay for the chinstrap. Is it good or bad?

Thank you for your help and time

Regards, Lars

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

The helmet itself. I will buy some original liner clamps/rivets. Nice decal huh

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

M40 Chinstrap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Chinstrap
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 Chinstrap

I think the chinstrap is a reproduction, but it's best to wait for more opinions.

regards,
    Corey

?

Thank you for the input and your time Corey.

?

Lars, I dont think the CS is a real one, also I'm not too sure on that liner either

?

Thanks a lot Dave. I have my doubts about the CS. I just did not want people to be confirmation biased so to speak, so i did air my own opinion. It is very light in colour, a odd number of holes are stretched without buckle marks and more actually. In hand the liner look OK. Could it ba a "Norwegian" liner? It is "difficult" to see the stamps on the liner band without removing it i guess.

Regards, Lars

Is it aluminium?

Try to put a magnet on the buckle.. It should fall of. The buckle should be an aluminium one, and looks sand polished from here. The color is correct for a luftwaffe strap, not sure about the construction but if it is indeed a buckle like the one introduced in '35 it already has a better chance of being real. Not sure about the construction though.
    See any markings? Completely brown straps are mainly found on luftwaffe helmets, later on all straps had a black finish. Some late war straps are brown as well but those are very hard to find.

Liner looks treated, could be ex-Norwegian.

A 9 tongue liner on a 64? Really? I thought 9 tongue liners were only found on some 66's but mostly 68's and above?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    A 9 tongue liner on a 64? Really? I thought 9 tongue liners were only found on some 66's but mostly 68's and above?
    Very good observation.

I wouldn't trust the leather at least, the bands might be good. I also don't like the strap mate.

The liner and chinstrap look bad in my opinion I don't think the liner is Ex-Norwegian, rather an aged one. Has the liner been out of the helmet?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Thank you for the answers guys. So the 9 tongue leather should NOT be on a 64 helmet? Is this a definite indicator the leather is repro?

I will guess the liner have been removed at some point.

Regards, Lars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast