Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???

Article about: Hopefully I'm not embarrassing by attempting to classify this as a M40 still working at this. I'm thinking this is war-time issued but what thoughts do you guys have???

Default M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???

Hopefully I'm not embarrassing by attempting to classify this as a M40 still working at this. I'm thinking this is war-time issued but what thoughts do you guys have???

M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 DAK Luftwaffe SD???
    P
    Many

Both shell and liner appear to be original, although the liner is suffering from a severe case of dry rot. The experts here will want up-close, straight-on photographs of the decal before that can be determined as original or as a postwar production. I don't like the camo job personally, but others better-versed in the world of German steel helmets may think differently.

Regards, B.B.

I am by no means an expert so please don't take my advice, but in my opinion the Camo looks like it was recently applied.

MAP
    ?

OK...can you tell this guy NOT to put tape on the paint and especially the decal!!!!!!

Camo's.....nothing standard to compare to so you are going to get opinions going either way. That's just the way it is with the majority of camo helmets. And some fakes are near perfect these days and impossible to tell from photos.

I think this one might stand a chance. But as said above, the photos just aren't macro / crisp enough for my old eyes.

I'm not seeing any artificial "tool marks" or artificial wear. I see scratching over camo and camo over scratching. And don't see any scratches that go both over and under the camo at the same time.

The scratches appear to have some age to them. The camo paint appears to have some age as well.

The aging of the split pins are throwing me....but would like to hear others views on that.

Do you have a maker and Lot #. This is a must when presenting a helmet for authentication. The decal appears to be a good ET style (also used on Q and SE). Can't tell if it is the Dot or no Dot variation.
    Last edited by MAP; 10-10-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thread needs moving, Luftwaffe DAK is certainly not SS!

I think steel split pins were also used as well as zinc during wartime.

Might be a good cammo finish - but that liner has surely been added. Those two rivets certainly belong to another helmet and looks like the rear one also ...... notice the fresh rust on the legs of the rear one peeking between the liner band in the last photo. Oh, and where's the built up grime around the band edges??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Might be a good cammo finish - but that liner has surely been added. Those two rivets certainly belong to another helmet and looks like the rear one also ...... notice the fresh rust on the legs of the rear one peeking between the liner band in the last photo. Oh, and where's the built up grime around the band edges??
    If those rivets are from another helmet, then the camouflage finish has to be a recent addition. There are traces of the tan paint on the front R/H rivet.

A good close up of the decal and knowing maker and lot nr would be a good thing.