Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Double decal heer opinions ?

Article about: Hi there, Up for scrutiny is my newly accuired double decal M40. I would like your honest opinions on it. I bought it from a trustworthy local dealer who gives warranty on originality. A cou

?

Default M40 Double decal heer opinions ?

Hi there,

Up for scrutiny is my newly accuired double decal M40. I would like your honest opinions on it.
    I bought it from a trustworthy local dealer who gives warranty on originality. A couple of things strike the eye but here are my findings:

Paint seems period paint-over. Helmet appears to be Eisenhuttewerke (ET) because of the more flattened dome. Stamps are almost not visible and certainly not readable. Maybe due to thick paint accumulating in the shallow stamps. Weight is lighter than my M40 Quist. So it would rule out that hersteller.

Decals are much lower applied than recuired 3mm below vent. Does this happen more often? Monday morning helmet or field repaint?
    Heer decal looks non-symetrical but maybe this is though wear and damage of lower left side.

chinstrap didn't come with the helmet but is Original.

Please help me determine wether I made the right purchase, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers, Kaske

M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?M40 Double decal heer opinions ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Double decal heer opinions ?
    P
    Many

Hi mate,

I'm afraid not, I would get a refund. The shell is a post war M40 style BGS shell, and the decals are repros obviously in the light of that. Which dealer did it come from? Next time I would post any potential purchases beforehand. You might find a copy of Germany's Combat Helmets A Modern Study by Ken Niewiarowicz would help too, it's just about the best reference out there.

decals are bad
    i think the shell too but wait for better responses

It's worth mentioning that M40's with two decals are nearly non-existent. Excluding police helmets.

?

Thanks so far guys. Tough luck. I'll await further replies. I'm kind of new to these things so I think it's the decent thing to do not to mention the dealers name. I'm guarantied a refund so not too shook up yet. Will definitely get a copy of that book. The thing is, the oppertunity arose and since the trust was there, I thought why not buy the helmet. Maybe I should be more carefull in trusting (even respectfull) dealers?

I look at all dealers with some degree of skepticizm.
    ( Many are collectors themselves ) They are there
    simply to sell. Trust the Item.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Aren't BGS 1st pattern shells with narrower vents? Or are they just bored out. I tried finding one and the vents appeared to be placed a tad more to the rear. Not that I don't believe any of your post. I just need a clear story to tell the dealer. It's highly possible he wasn't aware of the non Original character. Thanks for the tips on the book.

I'm Glad you asked questions, here the guys are correct. Please get a refund ASAP. IF you ever have a question try to ask here first if of have any doubt. Marty

- - ------- - -

It is well worth the 20.00 to become a club member. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The vents on BGS shells are massive and flatter. Is there a lot number at the rear, and a manufacturer mark anywhere? At best it is a wartime Quist M40 with fake paint and decals but I strongly suspect it's an early BGS shell. If you are unsure, just tell him it's because the decals are bad. That is something you can tell him with certainty.

Hello , I am afraid the guys have nailed it ,as for whether this is an early BGS of a re=worked wartime shell I cannot say without the stampings but what is a certainty is that the decals are poor fakes. If you look also at the wear to the decals , it is completely artificial. Somebody has been scratching away at those with a file to try and give them some age and as has already been said, an original double decal M40 HEER helmet is extremely rare and this is not one I'm afraid. Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast