Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stamping

Article about: I'm not an advanced helmet collector nor photographer, but I just got two helmets in from Germany today (Christmas came early!) and thought I'd snap some shots and share them. This first one

TWS
    ?

Default M40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stamping

I'm not an advanced helmet collector nor photographer, but I just got two helmets in from Germany today (Christmas came early!) and thought I'd snap some shots and share them. This first one is a refurbished M40 reissue with repaint, pig skin liner, replaced band, and chinstrap. It seems to have been little worn after the reissue. Owned by "H F" who put his initials both in the liner and on the skirt. Band is dated 1943 and it's a Quist but the lot number has a couple incomplete characters/numbers or a strange strike.
    M40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stampingM40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stamping
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Heer reissue. Q64, funky lot stamping
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Lot number is most likely DN364.

I would be willing to guess that the liner and band are original to the helmet being a later war rear marked Q. Within similar lot numbers are a number of no decal examples. Remember that Q made M40's right up to the end of the war and Q M42 helmets are quite rare.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A very nice late war Quist M40, i to think it is a DN lot number. Leon.

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Lot number is most likely DN364.

I would be willing to guess that the liner and band are original to the helmet being a later war rear marked Q. Within similar lot numbers are a number of no decal examples. Remember that Q made M40's right up to the end of the war and Q M42 helmets are quite rare.
    You're absolutely right. I even have Ken N's book that addresses that. Senior moment on my part. Could very well be exactly how it originally left the factory.
    In that case, I don't think this helmet ever really saw any "action". It's too nice when you behold it in person.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Nice helmet Todd - it's really nice to see a ND Quist M40 - the fakers would love to slap an SS decal on this, glad that hasn't happened.
    My Quist M40 has a DN lot number, which I though was IN initially until Leon corrected me. I think the weak stamping often makes them look like this.
    Nick

Textbook example of a factory issue, rear stamped ND Q. I see many of these in this configuration & condition. Many were "depot" finds that were never issued.
    This one is nice & desirable.
    D.

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Textbook example of a factory issue, rear stamped ND Q. I see many of these in this configuration & condition. Many were "depot" finds that were never issued.
    This one is nice & desirable.
    D.
    Thanks David! Yes, I like it more and more since realizing it is a prototypical example of Quist continuing to produce M40's late into the war.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."