Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 helmet

Article about: Hi. being a newcomer I'm just finding my way 'round here. However I would like to show you my German M40 helmet which I bought a month ago. I have always wanted one of these since I was a te

Default M40 helmet

Hi. being a newcomer I'm just finding my way 'round here. However I would like to show you my German M40 helmet which I bought a month ago. I have always wanted one of these since I was a teen, finally managed to find one I could (just about) afford. Hope you like it as much as I do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 helmet

Welcome to this forum, I think I just saw your helmet on youtube? Closer pic's are needed " liner etc " to give you a good opinion.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have this helmet on YOUTUBE. I have added some liner photos, etc. The helmet looks sound to me, only the chin strap has been possibly replaced (the strap is brown, the buckle strap appears black) and the right hand strap stud is missing, replaced with a vintage document folder clip.

?

Nice salty looking lid, possible to get a chin strap stud , they are seen at fairs etc, also you could get a replacement chin strap, EF 68, Emailierwerk AG at Fulda, the liner should be a size 60 or 61 which is right for the helmet, a size 68 shell is quite large

Nice helmet! It had a decal at some point, either Kriegsmarine or Heer most likely. I can't tell if the helmet was scrubbed and had the decal removed or if the decal was painted over.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

The outside has been cleaned heavily or paint was removed from it which is a pity. Chinstrap looks like a Norwegian post war dyed one (but original WW2).

Thanks for all the comments. Here is a close up of the left side where the decal used to be. You can still see the faint outline and what looks like the lacquer residue. The helmet color is a dark green, almost black. Does the production number give a clue as to production date / period?

Very nice first helmet, its very cool
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Nice original lid, and in a size 68! which is a good find. Pity the decal is gone but its not the end of the world. Very good starting point though. Better than my first one.

Quote by Alexander View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. Here is a close up of the left side where the decal used to be. You can still see the faint outline and what looks like the lacquer residue. The helmet color is a dark green, almost black. Does the production number give a clue as to production date / period?
    My guess is that it was manufactured in 1941. It could have also been made in 1940 or 1942. Check the liner band for a date. Sometimes the liner is too tight in the shell to read the date, but don't remove the liner to read it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast