Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Helmet for review

Article about: Hi guys, I need your opinion about this M40 helmet. Any problem with decal? All opinions are welcomed. Thank you very much. Regards.

Default M40 Helmet for review

Hi guys, I need your opinion about this M40 helmet. Any problem with decal? All opinions are welcomed. Thank you very much.

Regards.

M40 Helmet for review
    M40 Helmet for review
    M40 Helmet for review
    M40 Helmet for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Helmet for review
    P
    Many

Can't say anything about the decal but for me the helmet looks very cleaned up, look at the deep rusting in the dome of the shell and the abrasion marks in the paint in the closeup pictures.
    I also think it has been taken apart during cleaning since the color of oxidation and the general appearance of liner compared to shell is different (light brown colors for liner band compared to dark colors of the shell)
    You can also see that while being taken apart one of the leaf springs holding the inner ring to the liner band has broken.
    I think it stands a good chance of being original but messed with.
    Not one that I would pursue.
    But that's just what I think, wait for others to leave their thoughts.
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Can't say anything about the decal but for me the helmet looks very cleaned up, look at the deep rusting in the dome of the shell and the abrasion marks in the paint in the closeup pictures.
    I also think it has been taken apart during cleaning since the color of oxidation and the general appearance of liner compared to shell is different (light brown colors for liner band compared to dark colors of the shell)
    You can also see that while being taken apart one of the leaf springs holding the inner ring to the liner band has broken.
    I think it stands a good chance of being original but messed with.
    Not one that I would pursue.
    But that's just what I think, wait for others to leave their thoughts.
    Luis
    You have a good eye Luis! I like seeing new young collectors getting involved in this hobby! Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    You have a good eye Luis! I like seeing new young collectors getting involved in this hobby! Jim G.
    Thank you, Jim, your comment means a lot to me
    I will definitely stay involved in this hobby, only been at it for less than a year now!
    Luis

One can observe the "kink" in the rear pin from being re- bent. The inside dome looks painted over, probably rust. So, yes, it's been post war abused
    D.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Luis has a better eye for helmets than guys I know who have collected for decades.
    D.

Thank you, David, I try to do my best
    Luis

Thank you very much. A very interesting conversation to learn more. Congratulations.

Indeed, this helmet has been extensively cleaned and none to gently.

Collectors of any kind of antique like patina because it shows age but another side to it is that when it is removed in a case like this it is very very obvious. Compare this to a rusty old garden tool that has been treated to a scrub with a wire brush and a dose of oil to maintain it and you will see the same overall impression.
    Look at the inside of the skirt especially where the lot number is and you can clearly see horizontal striations where the surface has been scoured.

I have no problem with a complete helmet that is sympathetically cleaned to remove barn contamination like chicken crap that makes it a health hazzard but one in semi-relic condition that has been enthusiastically scrubbed has lost any authentic charm it had left IMO.

I would add my appreciation for the initial assessment by Luis too!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sadly one helmet that has been scrubbed to death inside and out. Leon.