Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

M40 "nd"

Article about: Oh i forgot to say , the lot number suggests it may have been a single decal HEER helmet so at least it's the right branch of service! Leon.

Oh i forgot to say , the lot number suggests it may have been a single decal HEER helmet so at least it's the right branch of service! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Thanks, I've tested with rubber now and it seems that don't that much does "loss" but the decal becomes fading if I continue with the work. Do you think I should continue rubbing?

The helmet looked like this before the previous owner re-decaled it. So theres not really paint underneath.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tysk-hjelm.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	577862

?

This is how it looks like after 10 minutes of rubbing, I start to see some rust coming thru, should i continue or will it just look strange after the cure?

Thanks Al (ps, the white spots on the decal was already there, i've only rubbed in the rust-circle).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dekal.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	577891  

If it's slowly working why not!! Keep on rubbing away. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

I would agree with fallschirmjager. Even if it were to end up ugly, you could just stick another repro decal on and pretend nothing ever happened!

wow it's really on there, I hoped it would rip and flake off but I suppose if it is working keep at it. You could try acetone on a cottonbud, it will melt the decal but be careful of the underlying paint.

?

Okay, so I kept on rubbing in 30 minutes without any remarkable better result and cramp in my fingertops. So I carefully scraped the decal off with a sharp knife, some of you might think that this was dumb. But I think it looks better now compare to how it looked with that crappy decal. Be aware that a German soldier also did the same as I did 70 years ago so it was in pretty bad shape under the repro decal, the most damage is done 70 years ago. The bare metal will probably rust in a acouple of years and give it a nicer look.

So here it is..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	577938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	577937

A bit drastic with the knife bud, I would go down the acetone and q-tip route now and see if the remainder can be persuaded into shifting.

?

Well maybe, I can understand that. But it actually looks better than in these pictures, I think I won't touch it any more and just let it be.

But thanks

I'm thinking that may be a good idea.

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast