Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia

Article about: I have had this for at least 15 years - probably closer to 20, I just don't remember when I bought it. It was an ebay purchase, and was pretty cheap, so even though I knew it was a fantasy p

Default M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia

I have had this for at least 15 years - probably closer to 20, I just don't remember when I bought it. It was an ebay purchase, and was pretty cheap, so even though I knew it was a fantasy piece, I picked it up. The shell is a neck stamped Q66, so it certainly can out of the factory with out a decal. The lot number is hard to read. I think it is 2458. The Heer is, I think, a real Heer reissue type decal - a misprinted M&B maybe? (The last picture of the Adler is an M&B on a VZ32 for comparison.) The Freies Indien insignia is interesting. It is identical to the FI decals on the helmets in the Marzetti book, but we all know that there are many dubious helmets in that publication, and there are NO period photos that document this insignia in use. It has convincing wear, and certainly has been on the piece for a long time - at least 15 years! And who knows, if a period picture surfaces .... NOT! Anyway, have some fun guys. Any insight on the Heer decal would be appreciated. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia   M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia  

M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia   M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia  

M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia   M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia  

M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Q66 - Lot # 2458(?) - Interesting (Fantasy) Insignia
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Well...that is an interesting helmet to say the least. Wish I could help on the decal. Looks old but would expect it to say Azad Hind. But I know very little to nothing about this.

thanks for showing this puzzle piece.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi John, The FI decal is universally branded a fake, and apparently first surfaced about 20 years ago. It certainly looks good, and in the parallel thread on GHW one of the members confided that as recently as 2006 at the SOS he almost bought a similarly decaled piece for REALLY big bucks, but fortunately returned it after the members on WAF outed the piece. I am, however, on the fence with the Heer decal on this one, leaning a bit towards real. Another GHW member posted in the parallel thread that he is about to submit an identical Heer decal to ADM analysis. When he posts his opinions I will update this thread regarding the same. Cheers, Jim G.

PS: I think I meant to refer to the Radovic book in the initial post of this thread, not the Marzetti book - my apologies. I don't own either of those books. Jim G.

Interesting piece.

This one was in the box I retrieved from storage yesterday. Haven’t seen it since when I posted it 7 years ago. Still on the fence about the Heer decal. I wanna say good - it looks good under a loupe - convincing metalic content and no saw tooth - but…? Frank? Anders? Terry?

M38
    ?

I can't say that I care for the Heer decal Jim. I know you floated the possibility it is a misprint, but especially the lack of lines in the down turned wings makes me not like it. Just my quick glance first impression. Sorry, but at least as you say it is an interesting helmet.

Cheers,
    Terry

It doesn't look like a misprinted big foot , there are things I like about the decal. The misalignment of the bird within the black area is consistent with authentic ones.
    It's not an M&B either. Looks more like one of those eagles seen on parade and children's helmets.
    One for the USB scope.

Thanks Terry. So they are both bad. Not a huge surprise but with the Freies Indien fantasy decal I will keep it as a conversation piece. Like I said, I have had it for well over 20 years and it didn’t break the bank.