Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

m42

Article about: this was brought back by my friends Dad its had a hard life he says they used to play football with it when he was a kid i dont understand the white paint under the green. The green is brush

ian
    ?

Default m42

this was brought back by my friends Dad
    its had a hard life he says they used to play football with it when he was a kid i dont understand the white paint under the green. The green is brush painted and a hand painted decal on the wrong side but he says its not been re painted and is as his Dad brought it back beside the football damage
    any ideas?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m42   m42  

m42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m42
    P
    Many

Default Re: m42

Hi Ian, the interior shows the original Feldgrau paint. There is a very slim chance the white might be a winter overpaint. But going by the pics, it appears there is no Feldgrau paint under this? The other dark green is almost certainly post war along with the painted Tricolour. Memories fade about stuff being altered post war.

Cheers, Ade.

Are you interested in restoring it back to the original paint? I would personally use some lacqer thinner on a damp soft cloth and remove it small area at a time. Soon you will be back to the original & maybe see some original insignia!?
    The white is possibly a different layer of gloss paint or undercoat. It may take sometime but you will be left with a great shell
    Cheers
    Dan

ian
    ?

thanks for that
    i had already discused that with my friend the owner
    and he says that his dad told him never to re paint it as thats how it was when he brought it back?????
    but if it was that important why did he let his son play foot ball with it??
    i agree with adrian i think it has bin painted with nato green at some time
    but i dont know about the wight it seems to be directly on the steel with all the chips nothing shows under the wight but steel
    any ideas
    id love to restore it its in very good condition besides the paint

Its possible that the white was period applied but not the green. As ADE has stated the original finish is shown inside the helmet and would 100% be there under the white unless the whole thing was sanded down Post war before painting it white... which I doubt.
    I suggest showing your friend this thread and askinging him to approve the removal of the green to see what you get left behind

ian
    ?

he should be here this evening we have an urgent appointment with a crate of beer so il show him what you have had to say
    i hope he will let me restore it
    where could i get as near to original as posable heer decals from?

Quote by ian View Post
    he should be here this evening we have an urgent appointment with a crate of beer so il show him what you have had to say
    i hope he will let me restore it
    where could i get as near to original as posable heer decals from?
    Its now up to you what you want to do with the item but:

Cleaning it up & then putting decals on will not give it any appeal or value.

Cleaning it up and leaving it as a shell... will be more appealing & desirable to many collectors.

Now we arent talking hundreds of dollars etc... unless there are rare decals under that nasty green paint, but if you want a nice shell then do not go sticking decals etc on it!

Cheers
    Dan

ian
    ?

well i was thinking that if the white is on the steel ie nothing under the white then the outside would have to be re painted with field thingy, so in that case decals would make it look good either way the inside I wil leave alone mabe just clean dirt a bit. However, IF there is field thingy under the white then yes clean it and leave it alone
    what do you think ?

The nantional colours where never on m42s.IT APPEARS TO BE AN SE (CKL)FACtory with the m35 like air vents?