Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

m42

Article about: Hello, I've bought a German m42 helmet a while ago. I didn't really care if it was real or not, because it wasn't that expensive, but now I really started to wonder. I did some research on t

Default m42

Hello,

I've bought a German m42 helmet a while ago. I didn't really care if it was real or not, because it wasn't that expensive, but now I really started to wonder.
    I did some research on the internet, but I am still inconclusive.. I guess you have to had some helmets in your hand before you can see reproductions, because in my eye's my helmet can be real, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

So, I was hoping the experts on this forum could help me out, and show me how you can see that my helmet is real/fake. I made some pictures, but if they're not good enough, I can make new ones.

With kind regards,

Mark

m42m42m42m42m42m42m42

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m42
    P
    Many

it's seems to be one M 35 or M 40, not one M 42.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

MAP
    ?

First, it aapears to be an M40 style (and outwardly possibly an M35) based on rolled edges and the vent holes.

Second, we would also need to see close ups of the rolled edges and the stamps on the inside. (rear - Lot # and near chinstrap lug for maker/size) to determine if the shell is original.

Third, (and others are more qualified than me, so wait for their views), the liner looks like a post war liner. WWII era liner did not have these marks embossed on the leather.

I would suspect potentially a post war rebuilt that was mess with. Maybe Norwegian given the red dyed liner (although I have also never seen these marks on a Norwegian liner) that someone tried to dig out the decal.

Please wait for others.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Either an M35 or M40, not a 42. Heavily cleaned. Decal, if real, was dug out. Has all the signs of a relic shell spruced up with a replacement liner. No collector value at all. The liner I have my doubts on, and it looks at the very least restitched. No value in this helmet. I hope it was really really cheap, as in slightly above free.

MAP
    ?

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    Either an M35 or M40, not a 42. Heavily cleaned. Decal, if real, was dug out. Has all the signs of a relic shell spruced up with a replacement liner. No collector value at all. The liner I have my doubts on, and it looks at the very least restitched. No value in this helmet. I hope it was really really cheap, as in slightly above free.
    LoL....I missed the gapping hole in the shell.....I go with your Relic view than a post war rebuild! LoL again. Such a Homer Simpson "Doh"! moment...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the answers! I knew it wasn't a m42, but I thought it was an m40. I had been looking at m42 pictures just before I placed this thread, so I miswrote it..

Ok so if I understand correctly, it is a "relic shell", meaning it is ww2? But the paint has been redone and the decal is possible redone?
    The liner is reproduction because it has a mark in it?
    Do I got this allright or do I misunderstand?

Thanks for the replies!

?

I see a real relic M35 or M40, from what I see, I lean toward an M35 because of the double decal configuration. It appears to have had multiple coats of paint, including its original apple green with a white winter camo, and another green painted over that when spring came again. Its a nice battle damaged relic shell, and should be displayed as such. Someone did go digging for decals and thats too bad, but it still looks OK. I would pull that post war liner out, and display it for what it is.

PG-

Quote by MAP View Post
    Second, we would also need to see close ups of the rolled edges and the stamps on the inside. (rear - Lot # and near chinstrap lug for maker/size) to determine if the shell is original.
    I made some close ups of the edges and the stamp inside. I can only see a "3" at the backside of the helmet. Lower than the "3" is what seems to be a name painted on it, but it's to far gone.

I could not find any numbers/letters at the chinstrap.
    m42m42m42m42

The shell, an M35 I think, is good, but is a battle damaged semi relic. The leather is bad. The decal is fake (I have never seen a tri color on the left side of an M35). Post war rebuilt for sure, and of little value to a collector. Just my 2 cents, which my wife says aren't worth a penny. Jim G.

?

Nice, I didn't even notice the national shield on the wrong side....doohhh!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast