Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M42- Camo.

Article about: by RH1941 Harry I dont get it . Its a forum I thought you could show what ever you wanted on a forum. Or did I miss the section where you must meet some pompous standards to post your helmet

Default Re: M42- Camo.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Harry I dont get it . Its a forum I thought you could show what ever you wanted on a forum. Or did I miss the section where you must meet some pompous standards to post your helmet. Gary
    Hi Gary,
    You don't seem to understand how it works on these forums - certainly where german militaria is involved. With german helmets you must not touch, you must not clean. In short, if you do any of these things you are destroying the history of the item.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but over here we have criminal organisations operating within the walls of many of our top museums like the famed Imperial War Museum and even the museum at Leeds which houses many weapons and armour of all kinds. They call themselves 'Conservation Departments'... And their evil intention is to preserve items so that future generations can look at them.

I ask you, what on earth is the world coming to when such criminal activity is allowed to flourish? This is the reason that you have these websites. Someone has to make a stand and stop others from destroying our military history. These items should be allowed to decay and no attempt should be made to save them.

That is why it is not wise to post pictures on this website of restored items. To do so is only going to invite heaps of ridicule on your shoulders. I used to involve myself in this criminal activity a while back when I restored several World War 1 machine-guns. I had the affront to reverse the years of neglect so that gun enthusiasts of the future could marvel at the complexity of these magnificent weapons.

Do not admit to liking such restored or presrved items if you intend to carry on using this website. Many others have learned the folly of going against the grain. Another few words of advice... Should you ever obtain a german helmet that has suffered the ravages of time through complete neglect over the past 70 years, never attempt to restore the liner to the supple condition it would have been in during the war, never attempt to remove the rust of 70 years or preserve decals. Just stick it on a shelf and look at it as it is, and try and forget it didn't look anything like that back in 1945.

We are after all only custodians of these items, we don't own them in the true sense. We are only looking after them for future generations to see, so it is best we leave them to slowly decay.

Harry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42- Camo.
    P
    Many

?

Heres the only relic helmet i own , it was recovered in demjansk and had most of the rust removed to make it more stable ,this is more preserving than restoring, but if it was filled or welded then repainted i would say it would be ruined , rgds Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42- Camo.   M42- Camo.  

M42- Camo.   M42- Camo.  

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    They call themselves 'Conservation Departments'... And their evil intention is to preserve items so that future generations can look at them.

Harry
    Well, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I cant imagine the conservation department at The Imperial War museum going at an original Stahlhelm shell with a bottle of nitromors, some sandpaper and some B+Q emulsion.

Dave. I love that SS relic of yours,its a peach. Dont forget to cram a chinese repro liner and chinstrap in it then paint over it with emulsion and stick some plastic decals on it.

I agree with dave, the girls do like the repro uniform and helmet in the bedroom...

?

Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    I agree with dave, the girls do like the repro uniform and helmet in the bedroom...
    Im still trying to talk her into wearing one

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Well, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I cant imagine the conservation department at The Imperial War museum going at an original Stahlhelm shell with a bottle of nitromors, some sandpaper and some B+Q emulsion.
    I can't imagine them doing that either. For the record, your M35 (which was originally mine) was treated to some of my preservation techniques. I did not destroy the paintwork, decal or liner in the process, nor did I attempt to take the liner out - as some do to look at dates. Yet you are happy with it. No sandpaper or Nitromores was used. So, anyone who want's to see a helmet I have done a little work on - have a look at the pictures I posted on it, and also the one's Isle of Wighter posted also! Anything that comes out of the ground cannot be returned to its former glory - and no attempt should be made.

A veteran bring-back which has been cast aside into the nether regions of a shed or garage and left to rot is hardly the same helmet that was originally brought home with such pride. Something should indeed be done to stop the decay getting any worst. As for items in fine condition, only an idiot would tamper with them. Each to their own I say. My other hobby is winding people up, something I am very good at.

Quote by sscrooge View Post
    Im still trying to talk her into wearing one
    I once wore a german officers tunic of the 116th infantry regiment (WW2) into a pub for a bet back in the 70's. I didn't hang around very long though.

?

I have had hours of fun in my copies and no genuine ww2 militaria was hurt in the process cheers Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42- Camo.  

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I can't imagine them doing that either. For the record, your M35 (which was originally mine) was treated to some of my preservation techniques. I did not destroy the paintwork, decal or liner in the process, nor did I attempt to take the liner out - as some do to look at dates. Yet you are happy with it. No sandpaper or Nitromores was used. So, anyone who want's to see a helmet I have done a little work on - have a look at the pictures I posted on it, and also the one's Isle of Wighter posted also! Anything that comes out of the ground cannot be returned to its former glory - and no attempt should be made.

A veteran bring-back which has been cast aside into the nether regions of a shed or garage and left to rot is hardly the same helmet that was originally brought home with such pride. Something should indeed be done to stop the decay getting any worst. As for items in fine condition, only an idiot would tamper with them. Each to their own I say. My other hobby is winding people up, something I am very good at.
    What sort of 'techniques' did you use on it?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast