Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 camo helmet-real?

Article about: Hello everyone, I just picked up an m2 camo helmet from Britain. I need your keen eyes on this one. Shell markings hpk64 3089 liner split rivets with washers on all 3 rivets.Rivet I checked

Smile M42 camo helmet-real?

Hello everyone, I just picked up an m2 camo helmet from Britain. I need your keen eyes on this one.

Shell markings hpk64

liner split rivets with washers on all 3 rivets.Rivet I checked was marked had a small m a3 s and then maybe an a. Rust has obscured most of it, haven't checked the other rivets.

Leather is stamped 56 in a small circle. Glued on grommets on back of finger holes.

Metal rim is marked 64na56
    B & c Stadt 1943 all in straight lines

Chinstrap has no markings. Appx 5/8 of an inch in width, appx 19 inches in length. The buckle looks like steel, and maybe once painted?
    The front side is flat black, backside like a tan color.
    Stitching looks tan, but could have been white.
    13 round holes. Not sure is chinstrap is original, but it shows the same wear as the helmet, need your keen eyes here.

Shell paint Inside shell looks blue/grey, and looks like the whole helmet was once this color, before the camo. The camo looks real, but I'm not an expert.....yet.

So enjoy and let me know what you think, and if more pics are needed.

ACE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 camo helmet-real?   M42 camo helmet-real?  

M42 camo helmet-real?   M42 camo helmet-real?  

M42 camo helmet-real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 camo helmet-real?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M42 camo helmet-real?

cant help on originality but please don't take the split pins out as you'll never be able to get them back in properly & the liner ring will become loose !!!

Red flags for the "new rust". Lid looks okay, not to sure about the camo finish 'cause of the fresh rust. Lets wait what the others say.

I absolutely agree with you, should only be done if absolutely necessary, as in this case. The rivet and washer has been returned, the liner is tight as heck to the shell.....which is why I removed the pin in the first place. It was the only way to get the markings. The liner was impossible to move. The other rivets will remain untouched. I was actually surprised to see it marked, so kinda glad I did the procedure.

To all members, as NickD advised, please do not remove objects unless 100 percent certain.

Thanks Nick

By the way, no helmets were harmed during the making of this post.........thought I would throw that in.

Are you talking about the discoloration around the rivet? I have seen this wear pattern on originals.

?

You say that the liner ring was impossible to remove ,then how did you ascertain its make and size designation, also im not too sure of the rusted areas, old rust turns a very dark almost black colour, as for the camo , it looks almost like WW1 painted scheme but thats not so bad, but i would expect to see some remnants of the camo colour not just the lines

When i removed the pin, it was on the makers side. This allowed enough room 1 or 2mm for me to use a magnyfing glass and strong light source. I could then make out the na side.

As to rust, where exactly are you refering to? By the rivet is a brown red colour, it seems to me that the clean original colour is coming through. It looks orangey not red. This is located in two brown sections.

As to camo. There are 3 shades and black lines. The brown red, green, and dark gre/black green. There is also slight texture. There is tons of camo colour besides the black stripes. 90 percent is ptobably there. You should see this distinctly in the pics. I also add that through time these colours have darkened. New, this would have looked orange/ brown and the greens would have been crisp.

Ww1 colours, i agree similar. Maybe a ww1 vet serving in ww2?

Please remember this helmet was completely grey/blue. Which shows through on the damage and paint.

?

Perhaps a shot of the helmet in normal daylight might help to ascertain the true colours, always difficult under artificial lighting

Inner shell rust. Rust matches exactly the rust pattern on the metal rim. D ring has made impression into metal shell, showing the liner and shell have been married together from the beginning.

My theory on lighter rust colour on inner shell.

Someone at sometime did exactly what I did, removed the liner. This could have been done in any time period posr war. The rust is caused by the metal rim scrapping the shell. If this was done in the sixties or seventies, it would look fresh today. Plus this helmet was not found in a barn, its been treasured and taken care of.... Just like I do with my helmets.

All the rust patterns match, and the discoloration around the rivets is not rust.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast