Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 for considertion.

Article about: Hi everyone, I have just been offered this nice M42 by a well respected dealer after I'd just missed out on purchasing a similar M42 on the weekend. It looks good to me but I'd still love so

Default M42 for considertion.

Hi everyone,

I have just been offered this nice M42 by a well respected dealer after I'd just missed out on purchasing a similar M42 on the weekend. It looks good to me but I'd still love some opinions. Just curious if the liner may have been replaced at some stage due to the darker paint on the split pins. Also, do you think the liner condition matches the helmet. Looks used but but not quite in keeping with the rest of the helmet. Not sure of the size or maker marks etc so will ask for these.

Thank you,
    AndrewM42 for considertion.M42 for considertion.M42 for considertion.M42 for considertion.
    Last edited by AndyM35; 11-28-2017 at 10:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 for considertion.
    P
    Many

Looks like an HKP 62 no decal. Paint looks correct. Cannot comment on liner if original to the helmet or replaced from these pics. Need close ups of inside prongs & washers. But everything is original

Looks ok. The front two liner split pins look a different colour to the rear one, which might imply they've been replaced.

All 3 pins to me, look the same color from what is left of the paint on them. Yes, they are darker color than the helmet shell, but this looks to be a very late HKP, maybe 1944 (can't read the lot#). Was not uncommon to use pins that were painted a darker or different color than the shell itself. Have to keep in mind, split pins were produced & painted at a different factory than the helmet, often they did not match the shell paint. Late in the war, they used /reused whatever that was available.

Inside pics of the pins & washers & pics of outer rim of liner might tell you if indeed it's original to the shell or been tampered with post war

Thanks for the reply reel steel and the information. Would I be correct in saying that the helmet would have originally been painted in a dark field green paint (as noted inside the helmet) and then overpainted sometime during the war. If this scenario is correct then perhaps the liner was replaced after the re-paint as you expect the pins to have the overpaint colour on them I would have thought? I guess if the liner was replaced late war or post war it would be hard to determine. Speaking of "late war" what period is this defined as?

I have sent an email asking for the some more detailed photo's. By the way, I love your Schnauzer! We have two minis, Otto and Hilda!

First & most important....give Otto & Hilda a big kiss for me. My Schnauser died 6 weeks ago. Would love to see a pic or two of your minis !!

That is looking like the original paint...HKP helmets were heavily textured on the outside, non textured inside. I don't see signs of it being repainted, it's a late war helmet...I consider any "non decaled" helmet late war...Mid 1943 they stopped decaling so from 43' to 45' I think of as late war. Ask the seller for the lot#. SE/HKP helmets you can get an idea when it was produced by the lot#. Of course the liner band date too if legible & convinced it is original to the shell..

If you can take clear defined pics of the inside ears of the pins & washers, good chance we can tell if original to the helmet

MAP
    ?

Not much more to add beyond what David has noted. But if the liner checks out, it's a nice example to have!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, as David has said, it all appears to be ok, but close-ups of the pins would be good to be certain. No decal M42's are getting much harder to find these days so all the best with this one. Leon.

Sorry for your loss David. Here are a couple of pics of Otto and Hilda (the first one with some appropriate forum head wear . Tried to PM this but wouldn't allow me to upload the pics.

Now, back to the helmets. Pics of the split pins on their way.

M42 for considertion.M42 for considertion.

Quote by real steel View Post
    All 3 pins to me, look the same color from what is left of the paint on them. Yes, they are darker color than the helmet shell, but this looks to be a very late HKP, maybe 1944 (can't read the lot#). Was not uncommon to use pins that were painted a darker or different color than the shell itself. Have to keep in mind, split pins were produced & painted at a different factory than the helmet, often they did not match the shell paint. Late in the war, they used /reused whatever that was available.

Inside pics of the pins & washers & pics of outer rim of liner might tell you if indeed it's original to the shell or been tampered with post war
    Don't get me wrong I see no problems with it myself. Pins are likely to get replaced if the liner was damaged etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast