Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Heer

Article about: Hello , I must admit from these new pictures that there does appear to be quite a gap to the liner and shell. What do the pins look like? Do they appear to have been opened and then closed a

Hello , I must admit from these new pictures that there does appear to be quite a gap to the liner and shell. What do the pins look like? Do they appear to have been opened and then closed again? If they have been messed with they may show a "ripple"~. That said the gap may just be because the liner has been distorted/bent from heavy use. It is a good match for the condition of the shell. Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Heer
    P
    Many

Hi Leon,
    Here is some photos of the liner pins. There is a slight ripple, but its hard to say. What do you think?

Sorry the pictures aren't great

M42 Heer
    M42 Heer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Heer  

?

Hey Guys, I am just going to throw it out there that even though it is very rare, Helmets with smaller size liners fitted have been seen before and I would speculate it would be more understandable in a rarer size 68 shell. Also it could just be the way I see the pictures but it does not look like an over paint, I would imagine brush strokes etc would be clearly visible. It seems to me more just like discoloration with age and wear. Cheers, Sean.

On further inspection, its marked 58 on the liner band dated 1940 with a maker mark above which I can't quite make out, but it has R.R in it.

It looks like a 58 liner which should be for a size 66 shell inside a 68 shell. The first liner pin photo you posted shows the pin has been bent previously much tighter, opened and re-bent. IMHO.

?

Could it possibly be D.R.P you see? (Deutsche Reich Patent) Schubeth-Werk produced liner. I am going to speculate and say I think the liner is period done either because of shortage in supplies or simply human error. Cheers, Sean.

Hi Logictox, I agree the rear liner pin looks to have a ripple in it. The other two pins seem to be straight and un-touched. Sean, thats definitely what its marked (D.R.P) thanks for that. Sean, that was my initial thought (shortage in supplies) and a rare shell size

I once had a 68 shell with a smaller liner in that was almost certainly done in wartime due to other evidence on that particular lid, so it certainly happened.

I think the liner has been replaced. That amount of bending to the liner band coupled with the re-bent liner pin doesn't give me any great comfort.

Overall a nice lid though, as long as the price was right.

I think practical wartime necessity sometimes comes into conflict with our 21st century criteria for evaluation. When the two don't jibe, per specs, it throws us into a tiz. A big size shell may indeed have posed problems for the exact size liner but I think at depot level they had to make do with whatever they had so....we may never know for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast