Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Heer Ckl 64 for opinions

Article about: Here it is, coming up on the holidays. We've been paying off some credit debts, getting much of the Christmas shopping done. I've been feeling pretty good about the fact that we've managed t

Default M42 Heer Ckl 64 for opinions

---------- UPDATED PHOTOS 12/01/2015 -----------

---------- ORIGINAL POST -------------

Here it is, coming up on the holidays. We've been paying off some credit debts, getting much of the Christmas shopping done. I've been feeling pretty good about the fact that we've managed to catch back up, even though liquidity is a bit tighter because of it. And yesterday, what happens? This nice Heer M42 shows up for sale and I find myself back in the proverbial room without windows, having shaking fits and looking to feed the WW2 collection junkie in me while Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb plays in the background. I'm filled with both shame and excitement to present this little number for review in the hopes of checking my homework on it. I'm hoping I'm correctly applying the education I received when buying my last combat police helmet to make a good stab at appraising this one.

This is an M42 Heer helmet, Ckl (formerly ET I understand during late war), size 64 with a size 57 liner and a batch number of 3016. I believe that number puts its manufacturing somewhere around late spring early summer of 1943. I believe this is all factory original and not a reissue that was repainted or refit.

The paint looks like the typical later war textured, and seems to be in really good shape overall. The decal looks to my novice eye like the typical later war variant ET you see on later war Ckl's, which I think is what we want to see on one like this manufactured by ET in 1943. From the photos, the rivet/liner pins all look to match. There is an acceptance stamp inside the shell, but it looks pretty illegible. The liner size stamp is in a circle and looks like the correct late war font typical on pieces of this production period, and the seller tells me the zinc/steel liner band is stamped size 57 as well. For size 64 shells, I understand liner sizes 56 & 57 are correct, so I believe all is in order here.

The liner also exhibits a very sobering reminder of the realities of war. There are no signs of damage to the helmet, so it must have been laying somewhere with the liner exposed, when someone nearby was hit. It would be cruel to call this a "feature", but I think it does ground a person to see it, when most items allow us to get wrapped up in the "coolness" factor of them and we don't have to think about more unfortunate events. If a person wants a helmet that's "been there", there's no question this one has.

This one is on hold for me for the day, and I'd love to hear any feedback on it. Thank you all!

Last edited by avenger; 12-02-2015 at 02:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Heer Ckl 64 for opinions
    P
    Many

Hi, looks like a very nice example to me, well worth picking up. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is one of the better single decal M42's that I have seen for some time. Leon.

I've made a deal with the seller, and will be adding this (my first Heer) helmet to my collection! More photos to come.

I agree -pretty nice looking example. However, I would not keep the chin strap in that position. It may get "knifed" through over time and stain the visor of the helmet. Best to let it hang loose on a display device. NH

If that's the real deal and it certainly looks it, that is a really nice helmet.

I'd say your liner certainly has a certain "character", no doubt about that.

A carbon copy of my first Heer (first helmet period) for a long time, although my liner went a little further than yours...

Here is mine featured in an old post, relevant for the numbers, it's virtually a brother to this helmet

Learning to dress correctly... Late war Artillerie Hauptman & accoutrements

What a great set Larboard! It looks really sharp laid out like that. A nice tunic is defiantly on my list. I almost got one earlier this year that checked all my boxes, but the seller offered it to me at like 3 AM here (he was in Europe) when the first deal looked like it was falling through, and by the time I woke up the first buyer had completed the deal.

Neil, I totally agree. The photos are the sellers, but I rest my helmets with the strap relaxed off the visor for those exact reasons.

Helmet anonymous meeting are held every Thursday at 7:00pm check your newspaper for meeting location. If you do not buy the helmet I will!!!!!
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I never went to look for tunics, way too risky an item for me... These two tunics just kinda dropped out of the sky on me, I took a chance on them and they were good like my gut feeling told me. This was in August, and really kickstarted my collecting back up with a vengeance, it's been quite ride since...

Agree on the helmet strap. Mine came with none, I found a nice original not too long about correctly dated and 100% vetted here on the board. Got it in the mail, put it on the helmet, and it was already shaped to be up on the visor but I didn't like the look of it up there, took it back down. Just couldn't get use to it. Maybe it looks better on an M40.

MAP
    ?

I see it is no longer listed. Congratulations! You know what I think about it! Great lid!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast