Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 helmet (opinions)

Article about: So recently I’ve found this helmet which isn’t in the best shape but to me has a lot of character and tells a story so before I decide to buy I want to get it vetted by you guys. It’s a CKL

TWS
    ?

Essentially repeating previous comments by other members, but I would be hesitant to declare this one a former whitewash just based on the photos. It would need an in-hand inspection (or much better photos). The liner appears to be the victim of rodent nibbling, which also supports the poor storage theory that lead to buildup of oxidation, dust and other contaminants that (may falsely) hint at being a former whitewash. Capture papers in general are a neat feature, but they always need to be examined carefully.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 helmet (opinions)
    P
    Many

The paperwork looks legit but i'd disregard it, there is no evidence to say it belongs with this lid.

The Helmet looks good .... Shame about the liner, but I do tend to agree with Gunny Hartmann with regards the piece of paper.
    If the paperwork is legitimate and actually had the Helmet details ie: Manufacturer Details, Batch, Size etc etc .... it would be more convincing.

Thank you guys for the opinions I agree with everyone about the paperwork and if the paperwork is matching with the helmet what happened to the other helmet as it does specify 2 helmets... With that said Iam at a crossroad I like this one and I also like the luftwaffe DD I posted I’m not to sure on what to do or which one to pick lol.

I’d go for the Luft DD

TWS
    ?

Quote by Stevade View Post
    The Helmet looks good .... Shame about the liner, but I do tend to agree with Gunny Hartmann with regards the piece of paper.
    If the paperwork is legitimate and actually had the Helmet details ie: Manufacturer Details, Batch, Size etc etc .... it would be more convincing.
    I would be amazed if you found details like that in capture papers. Details were not important and they didn't care. In 1945 they didn't have a crystal ball to know what collectors would desire in the future.

Capture papers I have seen say things like "German coins, (5)" or "Helmet" or "German Dagger" or "bayonet" etc. and often they state generally where the item(s) were captured like the name of the city or town. That's it. There was little reason or motivation to spend any additional time writing down more than that. The only exception (and very, very rare) is if an item was taken from a TR celebrity and usually it's not capture papers but a letter from the supposed liberating G.I. attesting to what he found. "I took this SA brown shirt from Hitler's apartment in Munich" type of thing.

In fact, I would be suspicious of capture papers that had details like helmet size or lot number. Those would seem like a modern dealer trying to be crafty and inputting things he knows collectors look for. G.I.'s in 1945 did not give a flip. They got a neat helmet, end of story. Yeah, most knew if it was Heer, Luftwaffe or SS but beyond that they didn't care.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is you have to take the mentality of a 1945 G.I. into account and not view it through the mentality of a modern day collector.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

If you are willing to spend $1300 on a helmet...that's an amount worthy of a nice m40-42 SD. I would wait. One of my M42 will be up for sale on Ken N site next week.
    It will be in that price range. Not trying to sell myself, it will sell all the same. Or continue to shop for something intact & undamaged. Just a thought
    D.

What are better to collect,DD or SD? Or is it more of just a Collector’s taste because personally I like the M35 double decals. Wish I could find a green apple one but Those are
    Rare to find I’ve found out.

This one you posted...that's post war attempt to damage the swaz & de-Nazify IMO. Not good. The capture papers hold no value nor prove provenance. They could be for any two helmets. It's been 75 years now...who knows ?
    D.

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    What are better to collect,DD or SD? Or is it more of just a Collector’s taste because personally I like the M35 double decals. Wish I could find a green apple one but Those are
    Rare to find I’ve found out.
    You're funny. I have an advanced helmet collector friend who asks me this once in a while. It's your call. There is no better of any. All I can opine is try to stick to some quality & condition..you will be happy you did

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast