Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

M42 Helmet - Polish Uprising???

Article about: Things have been ( apart from Real Steel's regular treats ) a bit quiet on the helmet front lately so when I saw this pop up online I thought " now that's interesting and worth discussi

Default M42 Helmet - Polish Uprising???

Things have been ( apart from David & Geoffs recent treats ) a bit quiet on the helmet front lately so when I saw this pop up online I thought " now that's interesting and worth discussing".....

So here for a reasonable $500 or so is what the seller thinks is a 1944 'Polish Uprising' repainted M42.

Lets bounce it around - at least he posted some decent close up photos for us......

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	1132410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	1132411  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	1132412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish-2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	1132413  

Name:	polish4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	1132414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	1132415  

Name:	polish6.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	1132416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish9.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	1132417  

Name:	polish3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	1132418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	1132419  

" When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

So it looks like it originally had the FULL red/white band around the whole helmet, then over-painted and the smaller flash put on ......why?
    So not as much a target as the full band? ( this guy might think so .... )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polish Soldiers-Miotla Battalion Radoslaw-Warsaw Uprising 1944.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1132425  

Interesting. From the photos it appears that the helmet might have been painted several times, a white band around the helmet was one way of identifying the owner as a Polish freedom fighter, then this has been later painted over with a national flag. The base colour looks a different shade to the normal German grun. As a symbol of an heroic people's battle against a monstrous enemy I like it.

Another liner / strap photo I missed.........

Name:	polish11.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	1132429  

Not one for me. Original paint has been stripped down to bare metal...then I don't know what happened after.
    When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down.
    'Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Quote by real steel View Post
    Not one for me. Original paint has been stripped down to bare metal...then I don't know what happened after.
    Indeed David - for the collector of untouched original helmets, this is not one to be sought after. But it does have a story - but what story is the question.

Removal of the finish ( yes the rivets seem to be bared but to me not ALL the surfaces ) could well have been some crude attempt at preparing for the many layers then applied by brush - which are clearly not the work of a faker of recent times. All things have a tale to tell - and, while I am NOT laying down my hard earned for this particular slice of history, if it is indeed as Blackcat says, a symbol of a desperate resistance against the tyranny that was August to October of 1944 then it is unique in its own way.

Dan

Dan...these helmets, the paint was sprayed, then oven baked. If there was a layer of original feldgrau paint underneath the green brushed overpaint...it might stand a chance at being period. But looking at what seems to be...current rusting on a bare shell, to me, has to be post war for whatever reason. If was period done, they would have just painted by brush over the original factory paint & applied the band/decal over it. Any idea how difficult it is to remove factory paint from an M42 ? It is not easy. ...don't think someone would sand down the original paint, then apply this paint & decal pre 1945. Just my opinion

The exterior paint is old, probably at least 30-40 years, if not older. But we can not be sure it looked that way, or had a stripe around it during the 1940's. It could have been repainted post war as a stage prop or museum exhibit. Some provenance is needed if it is to be seriously regarded as a war time resistance helmet. Interesting though.

Yes....it is interesting. But the proof is if this is wartime rust, It should be black by now....not red/orange as what is indicative of somewhat recently rust infestation this one displays

Thanks David, Anderson & Blackcat,
    Its always good to hear differing opinions on a subject - thanks for all your comments!
    Cheers fellas,
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast