MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Helmet for review

Article about: Hi all, I'm interested in purchasing this M42 but just wanted opinions on the rivets. The Heer decal has been removed but from the patina it looks like it was some time ago and I'm happy eno

Default M42 Helmet for review

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing this M42 but just wanted opinions on the rivets.

The Heer decal has been removed but from the patina it looks like it was some time ago and I'm happy enough with the overall appearance but noticed that the rivets were a little loose. I know that with battle used helmets this can often be the case but just wanted to hear what others thought. One the rear skirt the are some gouges near the liner band but these also look very old.

Any feedback welcome.

Thank you,
    Andrew

M42 Helmet for reviewM42 Helmet for reviewM42 Helmet for reviewM42 Helmet for reviewM42 Helmet for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Helmet for review
    P
    Many

Looks fine to me. Jim G.

That was fast!

Thank you Jim

Andrew

Fine to me too, all matching wear.

What I thought too Rene - and nice and salty! I just thought that a loose pin was OK but perhaps 3 was too much but they don't look too loose on reflection.

The marks in the rear skirt and area where the decal was removed show lots of patina so could have been done in service i.e. either pre-45 or not many years after.

?

Looks like a nice honest combat worn lid to me.

Alex

Looks like a nice helmet indeed
    I wouldn't be bothered with slightly loose pins, occurs easily just from wearing the darn thing!
    I've restored the odd helmet in my time aswell and sometimes when you try to assemble them the pins might already be loose there and then when you put them in, happens more often than you would like it to
    But I would agree with the others that the wear matches and if need be just ask for photos of the split pins from the inside.
    Luis

MAP
    ?

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    .......just ask for photos of the split pins from the inside.
    +1
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Looks like a nice helmet indeed
    I wouldn't be bothered with slightly loose pins, occurs easily just from wearing the darn thing!

Luis
    Beat me to it. Slightly loose rivets could occur merely from period use. Running around the battle field and jumping into foxholes, hanging the helmet in a vehicle or bunker by the chin strap, etc. Check the prongs to see if they have extra bends (appear like small ripples) in them. That could indicate the liner/rivets have been reinstalled. But at least as far as I can tell from the posted photos the wear of the helmet, rivets, and liner all seem to be fairly matching.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thank for all of the replies.

Thought it was all good but just wanted consensus from this fine group

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast