Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Helmet Shell

Article about: Here is a recent addition, The maker is stamped too lightly to identify, but it's a 64. Apparently it was stored in an attic for the last 60 years, and was a Vet, a Medic, bring-back from th

Default M42 Helmet Shell

Here is a recent addition,

The maker is stamped too lightly to identify, but it's a 64. Apparently it was
    stored in an attic for the last 60 years, and was a Vet, a Medic, bring-back
    from the European theater. There were remnants of twine for hanging
    attached to the liner band. It is very dark grey/black in colour.
    I added the repro strap for display.

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Helmet Shell   M42 Helmet Shell  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Helmet Shell
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 Helmet Shell

Hi Steve
    Very nice lid there's a nice finish to it.Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Thank you, Martin !

Now all I need to find are original liner and chinstrap.

Regards, Steve.

nice shell but it is getting harder and much more expensive to find decent liners and chinstraps,,but that is the fun of the chase...good luck,,,

Quote by militarymania View Post
    nice shell but it is getting harder and much more expensive to find decent liners and chinstraps,,but that is the fun of the chase...good luck,,,

Don't I know it..............!

Thanks,

Regards, Steve.

I guess this is what is known as 'feldgrau'
    although it has darkened with age.....
    Regards,

Steve.

Why not buy a nice original and complete M42 without decal. Saves you the trouble from having to fiddle and you have an untouched helmet which is way more attractive than a parts helmet.
    Plenty for sale at very decent prices.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Why not buy a nice original and complete M42 without decal. Saves you the trouble from having to fiddle and you have an untouched helmet which is way more attractive than a parts helmet.
    Plenty for sale at very decent prices.
    I like my 'find'........and I have not seen any nice helmets at decent prices........!

I am not going to spend $800 or $900 or more for a helmet with partial/50% decal, a rotten, shredded liner and no chinstrap. These are closer to the shells and relics I'm already finding for less than a quarter of that. The difference is, some 'dealer' found them first and jacked the price.

If you could point me in the direction of some of these nicer helmets at reasonable prices, I'd be glad to have a look.

Anything I've seen lately that is 'reasonably' priced is either junk, or been dicked with. If there are no 'decent' complete SD Heer helmets out there for around $500 or $600, I don't need or want them. I'll stick to refurbishing inexpensive original shells. And I'll do it using period liners with repro leather. So what if they are not completely "original" - they are just as nice or better than the ones some dealers are offering for two or three times the money.

I don't know any one who would buy a complete Norwegian helmet for $400, but I've seen them for that much.
    I certainly wouldn't pay that. There comes a time when price no longer equals value and a ceiling has been reached.
    If these 'dealers' do not have mint original helmets for that eight or nine hundred dollars, they can keep the junk they
    already have................or sell it to somebody else.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-23-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Well said Steve, i agree with your sentiments entirely, there will come a time when the cost of original items start to outway the pockets of ordinary collectors and only dealers or wealthy collectors will be able to afford them, we are somewhat lucky here in the UK as therev are still some good deals to be had at various fairs and there are still some nice original liners being sold for reasonable prices, but even those are starting to creep up the monetary ladder

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I like my 'find'........and I have not seen any nice helmets at decent prices........!

I am not going to spend $800 or $900 or more for a helmet with partial/50% decal, a rotten, shredded liner and no chinstrap. These are closer to the shells and relics I'm already finding for less than a quarter of that. The difference is, some 'dealer' found them first and jacked the price.

If you could point me in the direction of some of these nicer helmets at reasonable prices, I'd be glad to have a look.

Anything I've seen lately that is 'reasonably' priced is either junk, or been dicked with. If there are no 'decent' complete SD Heer helmets out there for around $500 or $600, I don't need or want them. I'll stick to refurbishing inexpensive original shells. And I'll do it using period liners with repro leather. So what if they are not completely "original" - they are just as nice or better than the ones some dealers are offering for two or three times the money.

I don't know any one who would buy a complete Norwegian helmet for $400, but I've seen them for that much.
    I certainly wouldn't pay that. There comes a time when price no longer equals value and a ceiling has been reached.
    If these 'dealers' do not have mint original helmets for that eight or nine hundred dollars, they can keep the junk they
    already have................or sell it to somebody else.
    Make up your mind what you want to collect , do you want to collect original TR helmets or do you want to create what comes close to an original TR helmet.

I sense a frustration about high prices yet I see a lot of you spend money on crap like fake leather , shells , rivets. Those part helmets will never be real , never keep their money. How much money did you spend on post war refurb kit over the years ? I'm sure with the right mindset you could have had a nice original collection by now.

And a used abused 100% original lid (with all components) still has a thousand times more character than an original shell with Frankenstein parts , there's no serious forum out there where you can show a Frankenstein and be applauded for it.

Whatever makes you happy , but that's not collecting in my opinion.

BTW for 800$/900$ I see lots of helmets with 90% decals and better and a good liner and in many case the original strap.
    Even for 500-600$ you'll find nice no-decals with original liner and strap. Completely untouched since the war.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast