Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?

Article about: Thanks for posting on the brown patination, as I have one in my collection as well and was wondering the same thing! This M40 Reissue has brown Patina, which gives it an interesting appearan

Default M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?

I purchased this helmet a few years ago online from a antique dealer. The seller did send me several pics. In the pics she sent me, the helmet did have the blue/grey look to it that is should. She took pics inside with a flash. When I received the helmet, it was almost a brown color (NOT rust), but in the sunlight, it does have a very faint blue/grey hue to it...weird. Decal, liner and chinstrap are OK. The split pins still have the original paint on them, its just like the paint on the rest of the helmet completely deteriorated. I sent these same pics to Dave Shirlin @ WWII German Helmets.com and he said it's OK. Another reputable dealer told me it is an enigma as to how some helmets do turn a patina brown like this, but it is original and OK. Any realistic opinions on my pics?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?   M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?  

M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?   M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?  

M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?  
    Attached Images Attached Images M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?  M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 Luftwaffe helmet. Anyone seen a helmet patina like this?

Looks fine to me, a nice lid. Jim G.

?

I have a helmet that spent its prewar time and war time as a helmet at KZ Sachsenhausen/Oranienburg. It is a 38 dated ET DD SS M35 and is fully researched with photos of the former owner. The helmet you would swear is brown. It is just how the apple green aged and the patination it developed over time. I also own a mint researched to a Knights Cross winner M35 DD Heer that had a honey colored patination before someone decided they wanted to see the original green better and removed it (wasnt me). I have owned an M40 ET DD SS that had a patination that was virtually black.

Your helmet looks A OK.

I dont see a problem with it myself either. There are heaps of variables that change the shade/colour/look of a helmet but to me this looks like a nice original lid

Looks like a perfect M42 to me. Patination is a funny thing, but I kid of like the way Luftwaffe helmets look with a brown patina to it. It might have been in a smoker's house for a very long time.

?

Nice lid. A keeper for any collection.
    SteveR

These NS helmets have usually a nice blue color but as Doug already explained patina can really discolor the paint. Some Lufties turn green.

Good lid.

Looks fine. I have a 1937 Heer M35 which, from poor storage before I owned it has gone brown. It also has similar pitting to your Luft too.

Thanks to all you guys for taking a look at my pics and giving me your opinion on my helmet. I suspected it was OK, just never saw a helmet turn this color from age. I just discovered this forum and love it already. I've only been collecting WWII German militaria for about 12 years, so am no expert, knowledgable, but no expert. Thanks again! Tim

WOW...Sounds like you have some nice helmets. Thanks for your input. I just found this forum and can't get off of it! Only been collecting for about 12 years, so am no expert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast