Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M42 Medic Helmet on ebay. Genuine?

Article about: by jimpy The problem is, is that there ARE wartime photos of medics with oversize markings either on helmets and or wearing bibs etc with prominent Red Cross markings on. Speaking from exper

?

Default Re: M42 Medic Helmet on ebay. Genuine?

Recognizing good from bad is a pretty useful skill to develop (unfortunately); simply saying 'fake' and 'looks poswar' may help someone avoid buying something bad, if it actually is, but they don't so much help anyone understand just why these pictures tell that story- a little elaboration would really be most welcome.

I myself don't know much about helmets and would like to learn how to distinguish good from bad; obviously paint is a very easy thing to fake, but details such the rank chosen- Sanitätsobergefreiter- is real and a bit obscure, so not immediately an indicator, save of possibly being real. The unit existed and being just a Bataillon rather than a Kompanie seems an unexpected detail that isn't what one might normally expect to see- also something that could be taken as a positive indicator (if indeed there were Bataillon-level medics, which I'd expect there were).

So what exactly are the bad things?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Medic Helmet on ebay. Genuine?
    P
    Many

?

Thanks for the website..by the way as I am new here, what does the "WRF Member" mean beside your name ( or under it)
    I have seen that on a few members avatars.

Dean

War Relics Forum Member

And the lid is awful

?

Gee I thought I was a member when I registered..I even made a donation the day after I registered as I like this site so much!

Thank you for that info

Dean

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Recognizing good from bad is a pretty useful skill to develop (unfortunately); simply saying 'fake' and 'looks poswar' may help someone avoid buying something bad, if it actually is, but they don't so much help anyone understand just why these pictures tell that story- a little elaboration would really be most welcome.

I myself don't know much about helmets and would like to learn how to distinguish good from bad; obviously paint is a very easy thing to fake, but details such the rank chosen- Sanitätsobergefreiter- is real and a bit obscure, so not immediately an indicator, save of possibly being real. The unit existed and being just a Bataillon rather than a Kompanie seems an unexpected detail that isn't what one might normally expect to see- also something that could be taken as a positive indicator (if indeed there were Bataillon-level medics, which I'd expect there were).

So what exactly are the bad things?
    The one thing that sticks out for me about the paint job is the size of the red crosses. They did have them in those positions on the front and back but they would have been a bit smaller than that. Also the red seems a little too vibrant and not such a deep tone as other example's that I've seen. Saying that I'm sure they used more than one kind of red paint!

?

Well I do know we are talking about a German helmet here...But..and there is always a but..
    I have seen WW2 Canadian Medical Helmets that WERE used by men I met..that do not conform to to Regs...these were guys that wore them..and thought they would have a better chance of living if the Red Crosses were larger..

Just for interest sake..I was a Medic with the Canadian Airbourn Regt...then went Infantry with the PPCLI..then attached to the Toronto Scottish as an instructor..and I have worked with several British, American and ER uints and have many Friends in them

Just something to say..and not a way to buy..LOL

Thanks again

Dean

Hi Dean, A fair point! The paint job may be genuine, It makes sense to display a big old red cross to maximise your chances of being seen. I can only go on what I've read and seen and I am definitely no expert. I have other reasons to believe this helmet is not quite what it seems.The wording in the item description on the auction site being one.It seems a bit vague. If this helmet had been in my collection for 'many years' I would have researched everything I could about it! It may be that the components are all contemporary for WW2, but they may have been collected and assembled post WW2. The liner does look squeaky clean though. It may have been unissued? Thats what this forum is good for, having a good debate and sniffing out the suspect.

Hi, i didnt like the medic cross and the liner, it looked to new, but thats just me.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Hi Dean, A fair point! The paint job may be genuine, It makes sense to display a big old red cross to maximise your chances of being seen. I can only go on what I've read and seen and I am definitely no expert. I have other reasons to believe this helmet is not quite what it seems.The wording in the item description on the auction site being one.It seems a bit vague. If this helmet had been in my collection for 'many years' I would have researched everything I could about it! It may be that the components are all contemporary for WW2, but they may have been collected and assembled post WW2. The liner does look squeaky clean though. It may have been unissued? Thats what this forum is good for, having a good debate and sniffing out the suspect.
    Debates are good if there's doubt , this one is a no-brainer.
    I have seen people debating the authenticity of a fake decal here , that's rather pointless as many helmet collectors can tell in a split second if a decal is good or bad.
    In the end as a helmet student one topic may not give you all the answers , it's what you learn from reading multiple topics and connecting the dots. Skip this helmet but keep the topic in mind till the next one comes along.
    Medic combat helmets are extremely rare , I cannot even recall the last time I saw one posted which I considered to be original.

It may be a no brainer to an experienced collector but what about a beginner like myself? I had no intention of buying it but someone inexperienced may have seen it on ebay and thought, great i'll buy that. Surely a debate is good even if it is about a fake helmet if it helps people become more educated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast