Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Militaria Fair pickup today

Article about: Hi guys, bought this a couple of hours ago (i'm aware of the damage on both sides), for a reasonable price due to the earlier mentioned issue. Is there any red flags with the pigskin chinstr

?

Default M42 Militaria Fair pickup today

Hi guys, bought this a couple of hours ago (i'm aware of the damage on both sides), for a reasonable price due to the earlier mentioned issue. Is there any red flags with the pigskin chinstrap? The liner is named but really hard to make out, I think I see "Rolf" or "Rotf"- for rottenführer?

One can also see about two types of paint, one Brown brush stroked layer on top of a green color? There's space between these kind of colors almost like some kind of camo? Anyway, it's really hard to get a good snap of that.

The seller mentioned it had repro decals on earlier but someone tried to take them of in a not such successable way.

Well, let me know what you guys think.

Cheers Al

M42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup today

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Militaria Fair pickup today
    P
    Many

An unappetizing mess. Save your money and get a nice one, you'll be happier.

?

I'm aware of that and agree with you, I often aim to buy 100% helmets. Just wondered if the paint was original and also the straps just so I know.

Al

Strap looks repro. Hard to tell about the paint but it seems recent too as the decal removal left a sizable spot. Lid may be OK as a fixer upper for reenactor or put a cover on it.

I would assume that the repro decals matched what is probably repro paint. Only worth having if you like it and the price reflects what it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks for your replys. I just can't understand why this didn't hit me when I stood there... At least I didn't get scammed on alot, I think I can sell it in an honorable way and still get my money back.

Cheers

Hi Sweguy , the biggest issue that I see here straight away is that this is an M42 helmet that has double decals!!!?? That is a real red flag unless it was a Field Police example which I feel this was not! The cammo is actually quite well done ,but in my opinion this is a complete fake as a decal "dug" helmet would have more evidence of the good original decals and not a complete(and poor) sandpapering effort over such a large area. Leon.

?

Hi leon and thanks for your input! Firstly I think someone used some kind of fluid to reveal the sides like aceton or something, as you see bubbles in the bare metal and I would say that is from a chemical reaction. You also see a long drop that also looks like some kind of dried fluid (see the pictures).

So say that there was original decals underneath and someone tried to dig them out, it would not necessarily mean it's fake just because he did a bad job. Say that he applied the fluid without knowledge about the outcoming and it went too far, the decals took too much damage.

It's also not impossible that the decals had been painted around when the outer paint was applied(if so during the war), and someone then roughly tried to de-nazify it post-war? It's marked "ET64" and "181", so a low lotnr with possibillity of having decals.

On the right side of the helmet you see decal spots of red, black and white dots while the left side has traces of silver. That could mean that someone put on fake SS-decals but that doesn't seem 100% legit since: why would anyone apply fake decals, repaint it and then dig them out?

I'm not trying to argue, just brainstorming possible scenarios that you are free to judge.

Cheers Al
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Militaria Fair pickup today   M42 Militaria Fair pickup today  

?

Hi Sweguy, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the "bubbles" you see in the bare metal are actually just part of the way these helmets were stamped. I have observed this trait on many M42,s especially during restorations when I have stripped them down to the bare steel to respray. Also I have used all manner of chemicals and substances on my restoration helmets before. Most I am pretty sure are stronger in effect than acetone etc and I have never seen them physically effect the metal of the shell in any case. I think we just see in that first picture is where they have worn away the paint like you say digging for decals but just exposes the steel showing the odd pattern that forms when these lids are pressed/stamped. Cheers! Sean.

?

Hi Sweguy, Just realized I had some old photos from a M42 restoration project. Check where the bare metal is exposed in these pics it looks the same as your helmet from what I can make out. Cheers! Sean.

M42 Militaria Fair pickup todayM42 Militaria Fair pickup today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast