Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

M42 no decal: help needed

Article about: Hello collectors; I've been offered with this helmet, at a reasonable price. The pics aren't good, and I'm not an expert, so I would like to know your opinion on it. It's hard to tell which

?

Default Re: M42 no decal: help needed

I do know what your thnking Dave I thought that it was more of a dark brown in color but the absence of any knd of chaffing around the liner were it folds over the band had me wondering as the helmet and liner have the appearance of being well used as does the chinstrap .

Regards Mark K

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by davejb View Post
    I dont know if its my eyes, or my laptop but does that liner look a reddish colour to anyone else, if so you know what im thinking
    I'm glad you said that Dave I was thinking the samething but could be the lighting.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Im not really worried about the absence of chaffing Mark, i would sooner see a liner that has a normal wear pattern, i have an m42 with a nice liner and no chaffing but a couple of small tears here and there, it was just the colour that i wasnt sure on

?

Yes davejb, I thought that at first glance but after adjusting the angle of my screen I convinced myself that it is more brown than red. It does appear to have some natural wear marks around the edge too, a good sign of old leather. Still, be good to see the liner in natural light, just to confirm it hasn't come via Norway! And regarding the price, I agree with ObKrieger. That quote of 300 Euros is top end.

Regards

Carl

?

Are you then considering that do to the red color that the liner is possibly a repo that has been treated or chemicaly aged to change its appearence.

Regards Mark K

?

If it is that well known reddish brown colour then I would stay clear. From what we can see though I think it is more brown than red. However, I wouldn't like to say for sure as the only pics of the liner are with artificial light. Pity.

Regards

Carl

?

Thanks Carl point well taken on artificial light and how it can change the appearance of an item that has been photographed.

Regards Mark k

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Are you then considering that do to the red color that the liner is possibly a repo that has been treated or chemicaly aged to change its appearence.

Regards Mark K
    Mark, when we talk of the red colour re liners, its possible that it could be a Norwegian reissue helmet, they had original german helmets after the war with the liners but repainted them and also dyed the liners red , so every time we see a liner with a possible red hue in it it has to be examined a little more thoroughly, you can use a cleaner to lessen the red dye and quite a few sellers will do that to get a sale, so you need to be 100% sure on this one

Definitely not a reddish brown, but rather a dark brown turned almost black at the edge ( by the pics ). I'm a bit concerned by the red spots under the scratches on the left side (decal area, but also under the pin): fresh rust? About the price, here (Italy) isn't bad, since an average shell with no liner or decal goes for 200 and up.

?

Thanks Dave I did not know that about the Norwegian Helmets did not relize that they dyed there liners red that is a good piece of knowledge to have .

Regards Mark K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12