Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 normandy camo helm

Article about: Hello everyone, A friend of mine got this in my opinion very nice normandy camo helmet. It is a M42 model. And it look like the camo even has some sawdust in it. However he is a little bit u

Default M42 normandy camo helm

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine got this in my opinion very nice normandy camo helmet. It is a M42 model. And it look like the camo even has some sawdust in it.
    However he is a little bit uncertain if it is in fact 100% original paint. So i am placing his helmet here for opinions of you guys.
    I think the photo of the close up on the paintwork is the most representable of what the colors are in real life. The other pictures turned out probably a bit more strongly colored than it really is.
    I hope you like it.

M42 normandy camo helmM42 normandy camo helm
    M42 normandy camo helm

Kind regards,
    Juncker93

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 normandy camo helm
    P
    Many

For me this is a very late war QVL no decal helmet messed up with a fake camo. The colors , texture and faux patina are very obvious , I even see a decal outline...

Hello Schwerpunkt,

Thank you for your reply. Could you explain what is faux patina. I am not familiar with that term.
    I would like the learn something new

Fairly recent camo paint job in my opinion, with attempt at aging but even with paint chipped and scratches, it lacks the surface wear of a helmet that's been around 75 years. I'm referring to microscratches. Paint appears to be on the skirt rim edge in places it should wear off quickly, and the rear photos show some odd scratch marks that look contrived.

Thank you Anderson for your opinion

Quote by juncker93 View Post
    Thank you Anderson for your opinion
    Faux patina is a fake patina. To dull down the color making them less fresh looking like a real patina. But fake patina is more like a lacquer wash.

I agree with the sentiments of Frank and Anderson especially after viewing the front on shot. I also think it has a lack of wear to the front visor area and around the rim where it would generally have been picked up from and should show more wear.

I also note in some photos e.g. the one showing the rear pin, an underlying coat of white which makes me wonder if this lid may have been a snow camo at some point!? The white can also be seen peaking through some of the chips.

Anyway, another original lid ruined for the almighty $$.

Andy

Thank you Andy. I think somebody will be very upset to say the least come to know that the paint is no good.
    The minefield of collecting...

Juncker93

Hello Juncker93,

Yes, it is indeed a minefield but I guess that is part of the attraction of collecting....searching for the real thing.

I believe that if you read through all of the 100’s of old posts and study the pictures closely taking in the comments of experienced members, you will soon start to see the “patina” that Frank refereed to and which so far has thankfully almost been impossible to replicate. But as you have already done, post here first until you are 100% sure

Andy

Hello Andy,

I agree with you. The satisfaction and the hunt towards getting a nice item is the most fun aspect of the collecting i think.
    Aswell as the satisfaction that you do know and learn more every year en get more confident in what you do.

Looking at pictures and having stuff in hand makes for the experience you need indeed. I am not much of a helmet collector.
    More into equipment. That why i made the post for him aswell.

Regards,
    Juncker93

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast