Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?

Article about: On Saturday at the flea-market bought this M42 Rautarn helmet with liner, no decal nor any signs of one being there at all. At the collectors club later on Saturday evening I was bemoaning t

?

Default M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?

On Saturday at the flea-market bought this M42 Rautarn helmet with liner, no decal nor any signs of one being there at all. At the collectors club later on Saturday evening I was bemoaning the fact there was no decal with a fellow collector and couldn't establish if it was from Heer or Luftwaffe. He said, with the maker's name and series / batch number I could trace which unit the helmet had been issued to, is this true ?
    My helmet has the batch number 5487 the makers mark is a little more difficult being only lightly stamped. What I can read - K reverse C 6 - there were two makers which used K as part of ID mark (Eisenhüttewerke) had CKL and Sächsiche Emaillier had NKL. The 6 I take to be first part of the size number, reverse C no idea. Has perhaps a member / moderator any lists ? and would be able backtrack from the series number 5487 to find out which maker the helmet is from and better still which unit it was issued to. Any information welcome. Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?   M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?  

M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?

Looks to be an hkp manufactured M42 helmet to me.

?

Fallschirmjager,
    Thanks for the post, hkp initials I don't have on my list, could you give the full name please. Regards

No problem, that is the maker code for SACHSISCHE EMAILLERWERK,LAUTER.(SE)

Fallschirmjager is right, Its a hkp 6X, M42 No decal helmet. The lot number (5487) wont give you a branch and unit, but on some helmets it can give you and Identity of branch type that could be hard to determine due to reissue repaint etc. Because this one always was a no decal I doesn't help to give much info other than an idea of the size with the lots around it but even then thats not a certainly.

Due to the paint colour though I would say its a nice late war Heer helmet. There will be a date on the inner liner band which might give you an idea of construction time etc.

Cheers
    Jason

?

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the help - double checked my list - hkp is not on it, shows you can't always rely on lists. The lining is complete but thin and breakable for the moment I'm reluctant to roll it back and take a peep at inner lining marking, in case it cracks or rips. I read, that from late August 1943 the practise of placing decals on helmets was discontinued, I'm happy to live with that. One question for Jason, why does he tend to think Heer helmet ? the helmet colour ? Again thanks for the help.
    Regards

By late war the color distinction between Heer and Luftwaffe was becoming harder to distinguish. Quality was going out the window and speed of production was taking its place. Some M42s are very green or very blue,others are more like this ne and harder to tell. And towards war end the Luftwaffe was shrinking and more resources were going to Heer units. This helmet is in pretty good condition. I would say a late war Heer, seeing little use. Can you post a photo of the inside? Thanks. Very good pick up for a flea martket!

?

Helmetone,
    Thanks for the extra information. Here's a picture of the inside lining.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Rautarn Helmet - Makers Mark - Series Number ?  

?

From the colour, I think a Heer also, the paint is typical poor quality late war finish (thinly applied).
    Definately a hkp/SE with those distinctive air vents.
    Cool flea market pick up Alec

Brad.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    By late war the color distinction between Heer and Luftwaffe was becoming harder to distinguish. Quality was going out the window and speed of production was taking its place. Some M42s are very green or very blue,others are more like this ne and harder to tell. And towards war end the Luftwaffe was shrinking and more resources were going to Heer units. This helmet is in pretty good condition. I would say a late war Heer, seeing little use. Can you post a photo of the inside? Thanks. Very good pick up for a flea martket!
    Nothing much more to add to this, you said it all,

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast