Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?

Article about: Hello All, I've been offered this helmet with a bullet hole in the top and damage on the flange. I was just wondering if its authentic or not. I've no idea, I've posted it here to for opinio

?

Default M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?

Hello All,
    I've been offered this helmet with a bullet hole in the top and damage on the flange. I was just wondering if its authentic or not. I've no idea, I've posted it here to for opinions, I only have these pictures of the helmet. Any information appriecated. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?   M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?  

M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?   M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?

Hi Alec, this one is not good. The size of the decal appears incorrect. Trying to authenticate a censored decal is usually almost impossible. Always get a proper clear close up photo from the seller. To me, this shows they have something to hide

This is a very rare decal.

Cheers, Ade.

For an excellent close up photo of an original Sauerland decal, check the Kelly Hicks site, SS Steel Inc., in the "featured items" section. He says that there was only one Sauerland decal produced during the War, and we all should know that there is no snake winding through the leaves of the decal. Early fake Sauerland decals had a snake, which was, apparently, the product of the forger's mistaken belief that a scratch in the decal of the example owned by Al Barrows, and featured in some of the early reference books, was a snake, and not just the result of an unfortunate whack to the side of the piece. I have seen Al's helmet, and even in person, at first glance, one can mistake the scratch for a snake, but it most definitely is not. The later fake Sauerland decals are sans reptiles, but do not have the definition in the foliage that is apparent in the pictures posted by Mr. Hicks on his site. Hope this helps. Jim G.

Whoooo Horsey... looks like another helmet from the Unsolicited emailer! Yellow decal coverings! I feel a problem occuring!?
    Stay away from this helmet mate

?

Here are further pictures of uncensored decal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?   M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?  

M42 Sauerland Helmet - Real?  

?

This is one of the rarest decals and i do not believe that this one is original.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

NOPE, not even close. Size, color, detail, border, all wrong. Sorry. Jim G.