Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Single Decal Heer

Article about: Hello folks. As I'm sure many of you remember, I had an 'incident' with a helmet purchase last week. Since then, I've been on the hunt for a suitable replacement. I believe I may have found

Default M42 Single Decal Heer

Hello folks.

As I'm sure many of you remember, I had an 'incident' with a helmet purchase last week. Since then, I've been on the hunt for a suitable replacement. I believe I may have found one, although of course I am not entirely sure. The dealer has this one listed as a bog standard M42 SD Heer.

The shell is marked '18', but there are apparently no other markings. This seems strange to me. The eagle on the Heer decal also seems to have a rather large beak, although it does appear to have the right level of detail to it. The liner looks to be rough but intact, with some signs of wear and tear and peeling around the lower edge. Both chinstrap buckles are in place, but there is no chinstrap.

This isn't something I'll be buying for a couple of weeks yet, and I may very well find some other prospective purchases before then. Still, I figured I would run it by the forum now, along with any others I may find, to build on my very limited knowledge of these lids.

M42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal HeerM42 Single Decal Heer

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Single Decal Heer
    P
    Many

?

I can’t offer much help, only thing I can say is.

Liner damage looks a bit too fresh?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I can’t offer much help, only thing I can say is.

Liner damage looks a bit too fresh?
    It could very well be recent damage. Leather does tend to peel like that when subjected to a great deal of wear. The big bald patches on my office chair attest to that!

B.B.

Probaby an EF helmet, they have notoriously bad stamps.
    The thing that sticks out to me is how much better the decal looks as compared to the paint.
    The decal is an Original HJ&K by the way often found on EF helmets. But also a decal that is today still available unapplied in big quantities.
    But personally I'd look further.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Probaby an EF helmet, they have notoriously bad stamps.
    The thing that sticks out to me is how much better the decal looks as compared to the paint.
    The decal is an Original HJ&K by the way often found on EF helmets. But also a decal that is today still available unapplied in big quantities.
    But personally I'd look further.
    Many thanks for the help!

I have leads on two or three others. As you can imagine, I'm being extremely cautious when it comes to purchasing another helmet. Don't really want to get stung again. I may even end up going for a non-decal M42, as they're a great deal more affordable, less risky, and still look the part.

Regards, B.B.

Agree with Frank. Most likely an EF by the font. Try to stay away from that decal. The HJK decal has been abused post war by fakers applying them to helmets. No need to get fooled & you won't get stung if you post here first..
    D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Agree with Frank. Most likely an EF by the font. Try to stay away from that decal. The HJK decal has been abused post war by fakers applying them to helmets. No need to get fooled & you won't get stung if you post here first..
    D.
    I'm immensely thankful that this forum exists, and for all the help I've been provided with. I'm sure I'll land a good helmet eventually, and it'll be due to the help and expertise of this place.

Is the large beak a defining characteristic of HJK decals? It was the first thing that drew my eye when I first pulled up the photos.

Regards, B.B.

Big head & sharp straight angles of upper wing tips. Also...very "soft" talons.

Looking at the upper left corner of the black field...the missing/damaged area of black might have been from a post war application of the decal breaking. It's something to look for

Quote by real steel View Post
    Big head & sharp straight angles of upper wing tips. Also...very "soft" talons.
    Well, that's something new I've learned today! Thank you.

I shall keep searching, and bring anything I find to the forum before I open my wallet.

Regards, B.B.

Hi, David and Frank have made very good points regarding the HJK decal, there are just to many post war applications to take the chance on with them for me. As well as the application flaw David noted, the swastika has a split to the lower right arm as well. That is something that could happen on a period application, but is more likely to be from a post war application when put together with the other flaws. Leon.