Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

M42 Single Decal SS - ckl66 - Lot # 3029

Article about: Yesterday I pulled out a box with a few SS helmets that I have had for a very long time. This one I have had for a while, but I don't remember when or from whom I bought it. It is a fairly w

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    "...This one appears to have been included in a large order from the Waffen SS as there are 5 other single decal SS "ckl's" on the GHW data base - 4 are size 66 and 1 is a size 62."

What I meant to say is that in the GHW database there are five (5) other M42 CKL single decal SS helmets with the same lot number - 3029 - listed. This one makes six with this lot number. Jim G.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

My only comment Jim is that ( to me ) it is odd that the decal so poorly applied passed quality control. I would have thought at the well established Thale plant that especially for the SS, something as misaligned as this would have gone back???

For what it's worth, I have no issues with the decal myself.
    I DO think that having "several SS helmets in a box" and forgetting where they came from is a bit cheeky for the rest of us poor collectors!!!

Cheers, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

MAP
    ?

I have dreams of finding "boxes" like that. But alas...I wake up
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

That dream would be a threesome with a pair of succubuses's for me.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That dream would be a threesome with a pair of succubuses's for me.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Mr. Fancy Pants! I'm far more easily pleased, just smother me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    My only comment Jim is that ( to me ) it is odd that the decal so poorly applied passed quality control. I would have thought at the well established Thale plant that especially for the SS, something as misaligned as this would have gone back???

For what it's worth, I have no issues with the decal myself.
    I DO think that having "several SS helmets in a box" and forgetting where they came from is a bit cheeky for the rest of us poor collectors!!!

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan, Regarding the decal placement, it was very common for runic decals on these ckl pieces to be canted, just like it is very common to find M40 Q double decal police helmets with "wavy" mis applied party shields. I have an M40 sd Luft with a factory applied bird that is folded over in 3 or 4 places. Slave labor was used in the factories, so my guess is there wasn't a lot of pride in the workmanship, and since poorly applied decals would not affect the utility or ballistic integrity of the helmet, it isn't a big surprise that poorly placed or applied decals would slip through any quality control inspections that took place.
    Regarding my inability to recall where and when I picked up a particular helmet, I have been collecting for 54 years and have kept all but maybe 10 or 12 of the helmets I have ever acquired. I simply do not recall when and where I picked some of the hoard. At last count I had about 500 helmets, about 3/4's of which are WWI and WWII German pieces. I have limited space in the house so I frequently rotate what I put on the shelf. The rest is kept in storage. I get a huge thrill when I pull one out that I haven't seen in a while. I really enjoy the hobby, and like to share what I have been lucky enough over the years to have been able to find. I think over the years that I have participated here that I have helped some of the newer collectors learn how to identify real helmets and recognize fakes, and have tried to show some rare or exotic pieces that some may not have seen or known about before. I don't have the knowledge or expertise of Terry or Bob Coleman or Ade, but in the last 50 years I have learned a bit and have tried to pass on some of that knowledge. I have for the most part enjoyed this forum, but I must admit that I haves perceived a few digs in several of the posts in this and other threads. I think it is time for me to take a bit of a break. I don't think I will be around for a while. Cheers, Jim G.

?

I was about to "Thank" that post Jim for the experiences you have shared then I got down to last three sentences and thought OH SHIT!That's not good! It would be a loss to the site if you decide that path. I have read all the post you have answered or opened in the hope's this beginner would learn more from the members I consider highly. knowledgeable in this field .

Semper Fi
    Phil

A super CKL SS M42, with the nice ET pattern decal. Thanks for posting it Jim. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

MAP
    ?

Jim,

Please, don't think my post is a dig! It was not and was hopefully not interpreted as such.

There is nothing more I value than people like you with all your years of experience and wisdom and the willingness to pass it on

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's a great helmet and it pains me to read that some Urban legens keep popping up.
    German quality control of decal application simply did not exist.
    Sorry to read that this thread started off with unfounded suspicions as well.

Again this is a textbook example of a CKL SS helmet , well done Jim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast