Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M42 Stahlhelm Heer? SS? Real or fake?

Article about: Hello everyone, This is my M42, I've already posted it in another thread of mine but was advised to post it in it's own thread. I was told that it was real and a SS but I was also told that

Quote by ShapedSteel View Post

SS Helmets – German Helmet Vault (This website btw has some ET SS helmets)
    What Frank means is M42 ET helmets with an ET stamp. Typically ET M42 SS helmets have the ckl / CKL stamp.
    That is his website BTW.
    Nick

EDIT: I'm clearly too slow at typing...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Stahlhelm Heer? SS? Real or fake?
    P
    Many

Hello everyone, I've inspected the helmet thoroughly and there are no scrub marks to be found, except at the lower part of the skirt (which you can see in the pics).
    I think someone might've sanded the edge because they thought that it was too sharp? Other than that there are no scrub marks anywhere.
    I could not take a good look at the rivets by the way, the leather is very brittle at some places. But from what I can see the two front rivets do not look like they were ever taken out, the rear rivet is hard to see.

I hope this information helps to determine whether or not this one was messed with.

I agree that this was most likely a single decal HEER that has been messed around with by having an SS decal added then removed as it was probably a stand out fake. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I agree that this was most likely a single decal HEER that has been messed around with by having an SS decal added then removed as it was probably a stand out fake. Leon.
    Hello Leon,
    Thank you for your reply! But how can you tell that the removed decal was fake? And HEER decals were applied on the other side, correct? So wouldn't that mean that there should be evidence of another removed decal?

Not doubting you, just wondering so I know what to look out for with future purchases.
    Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone, I've found another Website that says that late war M42's (especially from ET) had very bad paint jobs, they for example used very thin layers of paint which was a "war-time economy measure''. So I'm pretty sure that that's why my helmet has such a thin layer of paint. What do you guys think? It's an interesting read (maybe one of you guys owns the website, haha). The M42 German helmet, the End of an Era

Hello everyone, I've found another Website that says that late war M42's (especially from ET) had very bad paint jobs, they for example used very thin layers of paint which was a "war-time economy measure''. So I'm pretty sure that that's why my helmet has such a thin layer of paint. What do you guys think? It's an interesting read (maybe one of you guys owns the website, haha). The M42 German helmet, the End of an Era
    Can't say I agree with this having handled many ET/CKl M42's and owning still 5. Never ever thought wow this ET paint is bad , in my experience the worst painted M42's are by EF.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Can't say I agree with this having handled many ET/CKl M42's and owning still 5. Never every thought wow this ET paint is bad , in my experience the worst painted M42's are by EF.
    I worded my previous message wrong. ET's paint jobs weren't bad, those were other named factories. But it does say (I've read it elsewhere as well) that ET's paint jobs on the M42's were very thin.

I worded my previous message wrong. ET's paint jobs weren't bad, those were other named factories. But it does say (I've read it elsewhere as well) that ET's paint jobs on the M42's were very thin.
    Just have a look around at other M42 ET's , there are some good examples posted here with which you can compare.
    On my website I have in the Heer section and you will find 2 more under More helmets , Reichsarbeitsdients.

Reichsarbeitsdienst Helmets – German Helmet Vault

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Just have a look around at other M42 ET's , there are some good examples posted here with which you can compare.
    On my website I have in the Heer section and you will find 2 more under More helmets , Reichsarbeitsdients.

Reichsarbeitsdienst Helmets – German Helmet Vault
    Thank you,
    the paint of mine is almost identical to the M42's on your website's ''Reichsarbeitsdienst'' section. Especially the last one. It has the exact same texture and color from what I can see, but that should expected because they're both ET M42's.
    I'm going to do a bit more research, I have already found some more M42's with thin paint, but I wonder what you people think. Is it messed with or does it just have a thin layer of paint? And was it a Heer? If yes, where is the second decal?

Thank you for all your help, I'll go do a bit more research. I hope that you people don't forget this thread whilst I'm searching! Haha.

Hello Leon,
    Thank you for your reply! But how can you tell that the removed decal was fake? And HEER decals were applied on the other side, correct? So wouldn't that mean that there should be evidence of another removed decal?

Not doubting you, just wondering so I know what to look out for with future purchases.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi, it is honestly hard to see for sure from the images, but it looks like a HEER decal was placed slightly back of the air vent, this did happen, they were not always "bang in place" centrally under the vent. That would then knock out the proposed SS decal being good for me, that along with having never come across an ET stamped SS helmet. Leon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast