Become our sponsor and display your banner here

M42 winter camo (some questions)

Article about: Hi all! Recently i have purchased this M42 winter camo helmet, i saw it at a good price and decide to purchase, for me looks original, (and the seller claim that, like always do) but i would

Default M42 winter camo (some questions)

Hi all!
    Recently i have purchased this M42 winter camo helmet, i saw it at a good price and decide to purchase, for me looks original, (and the seller claim that, like always do) but i would like to know your opinions too. I know that opinions must be asked before purchase, but like the price was low, and it give me good feelings i took the risk.

If everything would be original the main question would be how to clean it up in order to get a nice winter display, i would use it for my kurland mannequin, and would like to have it the best i can. so i'm thinking about put it a inner, and some pins, but winter pins are not easy to find... could i use a pins with the paint removed? i have understood that the paint from the pins may fall off easily than the main paint, so a no winter camo pins wouldn't be wrong with a winter camo, or am i wrong?

About clean it a bit without remove the winter paint? soap water and a sponge?

What is your advice for this helmet guys?

Thank you very much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN  202.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	843820

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	843819

Name:	DSCN0204.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	843818

Name:	DSCN0210.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	843821

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi, i am not trying to be a pain in the a***, but i would be a touch concerned that the white over paint has been done whilst the liner pins were removed, as there is no sign of them having been on the helmet at the time of the over paint? That is generally not a good sign as it indicates that it has been recently done and then buried to age it. Also, why would the liner have been removed for the re-paint and then the interior was left un-painted? Personally i am a bit concerned about this one being good, did it come from a reputable dealer? Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

I agree , the paint up to the pin holes is a concern , I heard that farmers painted shells white and stuck them on poles on their farms as guiders when it was getting darker.

Thanks for your reply guys, yes, i thought about it before purchase, but It would not be that the pins at the time of painting were not to tight to the shell and the paint could fill the helmet full from the outside? I mean, that sign smells bad, but there is no way that this helmet would be original?

The seller sell helmets, that looks original at least for me (like this one looked original before purchase it haha)

No one thought that this helmet have a chance? talking about the paint, the patina and so on..?

Quote by williamsong View Post
    Thanks for your reply guys, yes, i thought about it before purchase, but It would not be that the pins at the time of painting were not to tight to the shell and the paint could fill the helmet full from the outside? I mean, that sign smells bad, but there is no way that this helmet would be original?

The seller sell helmets, that looks original at least for me (like this one looked original before purchase it haha)

No one thought that this helmet have a chance? talking about the paint, the patina and so on..?

Hi, even if the pins were loose at the time of painting, you would see signs of paint "build up" from the pins such as a circular "ridge/depression". As i say, for me this is not a period white over paint, it may have been done 50 years ago or a few months ago and then aged. I would ask for my money back personally. Sorry, Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Thank you very much Leon, ok, what a pity, it's been a long time since i was searching for a winter camo in no relic conditions. I will try to get the money back, or sell it as a not original one, for reenacting purposes or so...

Anyway really apreciate your help, next time I will not be carried away by passion and will ask before do a move.