Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M45/ ventless 42 helmet

Article about: Hello all I recently aquired this through the net. I read many stories and multiple points of view concerning these odd ball helmets. It appears that it use to have an m44 liner installed bu

?

Default M45/ ventless 42 helmet

Hello all
    I recently aquired this through the net. I read many stories and multiple points of view concerning these odd ball helmets. It appears that it use to have an m44 liner installed but has since snapped out
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M45/ ventless 42 helmet   M45/ ventless 42 helmet  

M45/ ventless 42 helmet   M45/ ventless 42 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M45/ ventless 42 helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very interesting. Not one I have seen or handled. Know very little about them except for what I have read in Ken N's book (I think its a whole paragraph). Some talk that these were never issued so liner and chinstraps were typically not installed. That said I know very little. Hopefully those with more experience can provide some color.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There is an M42 hkp66 with the same lot# on the GHW lot number data base, not described as a ventless helmet. I don't have Brian Ice's book, but I would guess the lot number is not late enough for this to be a ventless example. Better pictures, clearer and focused on the areas where the vents would have been, both on the exterior and the interior, should be posted. As of now, I am skeptical, sorry, Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jim. Ken N notes in his book of a CKl example with an early lot number (I'm not comparing to HKp lot numbers). The jist being that it wasn't a "switch" over to a new production technique in that vented helmets were still produced afterwards. His guess as to why is either a prototype or factory flaw.

The example provided in Kens book was supplied by none other than Brian Ice.

That said, this is for information purposes only. I bow to those with more knowledge.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    There is an M42 hkp66 with the same lot# on the GHW lot number data base, not described as a ventless helmet. I don't have Brian Ice's book, but I would guess the lot number is not late enough for this to be a ventless example. Better pictures, clearer and focused on the areas where the vents would have been, both on the exterior and the interior, should be posted. As of now, I am skeptical, sorry, Jim G.
    I agree Jim.
    Basically nothing official is known about these , only conjecture.

By that late in the war, there would have been plenty of helmets/caps to go around for the few combat capable troops the German military had left, and therefore no need to go through the hassle of changing the production methods. A fresh recruit in early 1945 would have probably received a beat up M35 that had several previous owners, or maybe a factory fresh M42 without decals. But that's my two cents.