Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mating original helmet with liner?

Article about: by helmetone I agree an original liner would look better. It's hard to match a repro liner with an aged helmet. No doubt. That would be hard to get right. by bigmacglenn1966 I "aged&quo

?

Default Mating original helmet with liner?

Hi Gents.

A friend has been restoring an original M35 helmet (helmet had been made into a firemans helmet and there is only the shell left). He now needs a liner (and chin strap).

My question: How does he find the correct size liner for a certain M35 helmet size - are the repro liners one size or does he have to buy a specific size liner for a secific size helmet?

Are there a reputable source for repro liners?

BTW Which sizes did the helmets typically come in?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mating original helmet with liner?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mating original helmet with liner?

Hi,the helmet will have a manufacturers stamp,say, SE64 for example.The 64 part is the measurement of the steel helmet so you would need to look for a liner band marked to the size 56. The corralation is that the liners size is usually -10 to the helmets stamp size+2 in measurement.Hope that,s as clear as mud to you.All the best on your restoration.

Reproduction German WWII Helmet Liner

They do all the correct sized liners for each helmet shell size. See the drop down menu.

I have deal with them and they are good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Your mate might be better to save his money and buy a better helmet IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank for the speedy and informative replys.

I believe, this tin hat has nostalgic value to my friend and that he sort of enjoys fiddling with the helmet and seeing the work completed after putting in a bit of work.

No problem, we all have our reasons for what we do.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

He could go one stage better and obtain an original liner especially if this helmet holds some nostalgic value, it would also have the age and patina needed to marry in with the helmet, as for correct sizes etc there is a previous post within the helmet section that lists all the sizes needed for the helmet shells concerned

?

IMO an original liner would the best solution, yes.

I agree an original liner would look better. It's hard to match a repro liner with an aged helmet.

I "aged" this repro-liner with Wood Finish so it would blend in better with the old shell...but Helmetone is correct, it's hard to get a good match.
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Mating original helmet with liner? 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast