Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype

Article about: Very rare and one of the last that I miss , if you see one in VG condition , please let me know

Default model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype

Hi all, This is a prototype vulkanfiber helmet originally intended to replace the steel helmet. It weighs about 450 grams. It was field tested in 1932, failed and rejected, ultimately to be supplanted by the well known M35. I hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype   model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype  

model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype   model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype  

model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype
    P
    Many

Default Re: model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype

Wonder why it failed love the screen in the vents. Anymore info on this?

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Wonder why it failed love the screen in the vents. Anymore info on this?
    Baer has a pretty good write up about this model. It was not supposed to stop bullets and "large shell fragments", but when you pick it up, it seems that it wouldn't stop a spit ball! It did not hold up well to the elements, as is apparent from this piece. Regarding this particular helmet, I bought it off of a website, and have no information about its history. It is unit marked, but I haven't researched it yet. It isn't in very good shape, but it is rare, and I like it, and thought it would be a good conversation piece. What the heck were they thinking? Cheers, Jim G.

How many prototype of this helmet were maded.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    How many prototype of this helmet were maded.
    I think Baer mentions numbers in one of his books. I will try to look it up and let you know when I do. My recollection is that very few were made, on the order of a few thousand, but don't quote me on it. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I think Baer mentions numbers in one of his books. I will try to look it up and let you know when I do. My recollection is that very few were made, on the order of a few thousand, but don't quote me on it. Jim G.
    Jim any other info on this type of helmet would be welcome.I do not know anything about it so would like to know more .
    If they were not use what happen to them.

Hi Jim, I like that very much! Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.

i didnt even know that these exist. you learn something new every day. thanks for sharing.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Jim any other info on this type of helmet would be welcome.I do not know anything about it so would like to know more .
    If they were not use what happen to them.
    In the Baer book (p 94) it says that 510 model 3 helmets were field tested in 1932, and apparently a larger field test occurred in 1933. The helmet did not hold up to the elements, and obviously the ballistic integrity of an undamaged piece was minimal at best. The pro's - light weight and comfort to the wearer while prone or firing a weapon, were far outweighed by the con's - little protection and among other things the tendency to warp when wet, and the design was abandoned. Baer put a number of photo's of the helmet in use in the book, most of which I suspect were taken during the field tests, but there is one picture of a soldier on guard duty wearing one, with an SA eagle on the right side of the helmet. (The 2 holes on the left were originally intended for a metal device, a tri color I believe, but when AH took over, TR insignia like the Adler on this piece were applied instead) I guess the helmets that survived the field tests were reissued for parade or other non combat related uses in the early pre-war years of the Reich, as all of the photos of this model that I have seen appear to be from the early to mid 1930's. Unlike steel helmets like the RZM model, these couldn't be melted down, and supply shortages that existed as the Reich rearmed in the 30's probably encouraged the reissue of these pieces rather than the simple destruction of them. That is my take on it anyway. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jim G.

Thank you for all your great info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast