Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.

Article about: Hello, once again. Yes this is my millionth post about this stuff and the prices. First off, I should explain myself for why I seem to be basically begging for this stuff, and it's mostly ju

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I cannot speak for him, but I can for myself. I am honestly scared to death of buying a fake helmet. After watching on YouTube as to how easy it is to fake a helmet, I don't want to risk it. That's one reason, but not my main reason.

My main reason is, I have always been an avid fan of things that were actually used in combat. Whoopee, a helmet, mint condition, but it was never used. There is no fun in that for me. I love finds from places, places I can study, maybe even pin down to a specific unit.

Perhaps it is because I'm a relic hunter also, that I am drawn to old rusty things.

P.S. I'm only 17, and waiting to get a job at the railroad. My source of income is odd jobs and horsetrading.
    Here we go again , there is a battle. Soldier loses helmet in the bushes , retreats. Helmets is found 75 years later in the ground.
    Another scenario , there is a battle , soldier is captured. Helmet is thrown on a pile. Allied soldier picks the helmet out of the pile as a souvenir. 75 years later helmet is still in as found condition.

I know the one I want on my shelf.

Do not kid yourself about rusty helmets being more combat looking.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.
    P
    Many

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Here we go again , there is a battle. Soldier loses helmet in the bushes , retreats. Helmets is found 75 years later in the ground.
    Another scenario , there is a battle , soldier is captured. Helmet is thrown on a pile. Allied soldier picks the helmet out of the pile as a souvenir. 75 years later helmet is still in as found condition.

I know the one I want on my shelf.

Do not kid yourself about rusty helmets being more combat looking.
    Of course they are more combat looking, at the beginning of your sentence, you said "there is a battle, soldier loses helmet in bushes...". Thus, lost in battle.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm champing at the bit to get my first helmet. It's just crazy how expensive some of this stuff is though!
    Relic lids are easy to find, lots of honest examples are on ebay (well there are on ebay uk). Avoid straight away any with ss decals and post photos and price on here and we can advise you.

To each their own.

Personally I like to see the high dollar unused helmets, but I also like the relics, and everything in between.
    The same goes for the classic car hobby for example, many like to gaze at the restored and survivor cars, but plenty of folks are having a blast with ratty old beater cars.

I have a bunch of relics helmets, have had them in my display case for years an still like to look at them.
    Usually buy the ones I personally find appealing, or relics that were found in my local area (although this can be tricky to verify).

Of course they are more combat looking, at the beginning of your sentence, you said "there is a battle, soldier loses helmet in bushes...". Thus, lost in battle.
    No they are not they may appear so to you in your mind :-)

You have to read the second scenario as well. There is also a battle …
    Hence you cannot say that ground found helmets are more battle hardened examples than those that survived above ground and were taken care of.

What you collect is each his own but don't over dramatize ground found helmets against helmets in better condition. That was the point I was trying to make.
    Both examples can be in a battle just the way they travelled to the collector his shelves makes all the difference in appearance. Even a cook could have lost his helmet in the bushes

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    No they are not they may appear so to you in your mind :-)

You have to read the second scenario as well. There is also a battle …
    Hence you cannot say that ground found helmets are more battle hardened examples than those that survived above ground and were taken care of.

What you collect is each his own but don't over dramatize ground found helmets against helmets in better condition. That was the point I was trying to make.
    Both examples can be in a battle just the way they travelled to the collector his shelves makes all the difference in appearance. Even a cook could have lost his helmet in the bushes
    I guess it's because I'm a relic hunter, I see more in rust than I do in patina, lol

MAP
    ?

All Frank and I are saying is that the history/story behind the helmet has little to do with it's condition.

Now... what type we like is entirely personal preference. No right or wrong answer to that.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3