Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first helmet! A salty M42 ND

Article about: Thanks for your comments guys! Yes Glenn I will get the pics you requested Nick

Default My first helmet! A salty M42 ND

What do you think guys? Shortened chin strap, not in the best condition, I know.

Just testing the water while I study this subject

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first helmet! A salty M42 ND   My first helmet! A salty M42 ND  

My first helmet! A salty M42 ND   My first helmet! A salty M42 ND  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first helmet! A salty M42 ND
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first helmet! A salty M42 ND

Hi Nick.
    First helmet.
    I would say that is a messed with relic.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Hi Nick, I would agree with Nuno. The pitting all over the helmet tells me that it's a restored relic.

Thanks guys! Worth 130 Euros ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Imo, I don't think it is worth 130 euros, add about 20 euroes and you could get yourself a nice non relic helmet(At least I did, but I might have gotten lucky). If you are just starting to collect helmets and want to collect helmets in the future, I would suggest that you would get a non-relic helmet in a ordinary condition. Unless you want to collect relic helmets that is. Still a nice helmet though.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Got to agree with the other comments Nick, but hey most of us started out with something, good or bad, now you have this you can guage what you need to look for, its a bit pricey for a messed with relic , the liner has been coated with some form of preservative thats changed the whole colour, possibly the chin strap as well, that was a quick buy and perhaps a little to hasty, treat buying helmets as you would your EKs, condition, makers marks, etc

Thanks Vegar and Dave !

Good advice and I will run any more potential purchases by you

Nick

Welcome to the party, Nick!

In my opinion, you overpaid a bit, but it is as others have said: a relic M42.

Since you are new to helmets, I would highly recommend 'Germany's Combat Helmets, 1933-1945' by Ken Niewiarowicz. A couple of read-throughs will get your base knowledge started.

I think it's fine, sure the liner is damaged and has been treated but even so an original chinstrap and liner alone don't come cheap. Can we see close ups of the liner pin heads from the outside and if possible the pin interiors where there should be the pin washers fitted. That might determine if the liner has been retro-fitted or not. A ground dug complete lid may have the leather shrunken, dried out and brittle and in an attempt to get the chinstrap supple enough to get over the brim it is common practice among some folk to soak it with grease or fat or vasoline or whatever to get it into position. Not all ground dug lids have the leather completely rotted away, it just depends on the soil and local conditions.

Its a relic and I like it!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I ...

Its a relic and I like it!
    Like it too!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast