Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet

Article about: I am posting this helmet as my welcome to Doug as our new Helmet Forum moderator. Although I started collecting in 1956, I never found an acceptable double decal M-35 helmet until the SOS si

Default My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet

I am posting this helmet as my welcome to Doug as our new Helmet Forum moderator. Although I started collecting in 1956, I never found an acceptable double decal M-35 helmet until the SOS six years ago. A buddy of mine had this helmet walked in to him by an old collector who had dealt with my buddy. As we had tables together, he handed it to me and said "do you want it?" I said, you bet! It turned out that my friend Bob Hritz actually got this helmet at the Great Western Show back in the early 80's directly from a vet walk-in. He intended to keep it but the seller talked Bob out of it. Like the majority of these pristeen M-35 helmets with double decals and original paint, the provenance goes back to the LAH barracks in Bertchesgarten and a 101st Airbone vet. I guess guarding the Berghof was pretty cushy work during the war and far superior to the Russian Front. The shell is an ET64 with a lot number of 3804. The dome stamp indicates issuance out of Wehrkreis VII in Munich.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet   My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet  

My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet   My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet  

My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet  
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet

Hi Bob, thanks for posting this one! DD SS helmets are not easy to come by and highly desirable, especially with factory paint and decal issue like this example. Any history on the 101 vet that brought it back?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Bob, thanks for posting this one! double decal helmet SS helmets are not easy to come by and highly desirable, especially with factory paint and decal issue like this example. Any history on the 101 vet that brought it back?
    Doug-
    Unfortunately, there is no information on the vet. In the old days, the focus was on collecting the object. Today, there is far more interest in collecting the object and it's history.
    BOB

What a great lid! Love seeing pots like that! Thanks for posting! A rare bird indeed!

Rob

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Doug-
    Unfortunately, there is no information on the vet. In the old days, the focus was on collecting the object. Today, there is far more interest in collecting the object and it's history.
    True enough. If only we knew! I recently picked up a direct vet aquired M42 SS helmet, and with it came the picture of the veteran, copies of his citations (the originals rightly stayed with him), some unit newspapers he saved from overseas, and these items are displayed with the helmet as they make a direct connection to those events 65 years ago making it a very special helmet indeed.

As well Bob, it is quite feasible that the RFSS staff double decal helmet SS helmet and this one were in the same room at the same time and share a unique history!

Cheers
    Doug

?

Wow it doesn't get much better than this. A pristine helmet. Top of the line.

2 "real double decal SS helmets in 2 days.................... Don't think my ticker can take it.

Is the chinstrap marked Bob?
    Attached Images Attached Images My M-35 Double Decal SS Helmet 

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    2 "real double decal SS helmets in 2 days.................... Don't think my ticker can take it.

Is the chinstrap marked Bob?
    The chin strap is marked but I cannot make out the maker except for the matching date of 1937.
    BOB

?

Thanks Bob for posting pics of this magnificent helmet ,D/D ss lids are the things that most of us can only dream of owning, rgds Dave