Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

Article about: It really depends on the type of treatment, oils etc are a no no, but lanoline or petroleum jelly can be used to help re-hydrate the leather, depending on the type of rot your dealing with,

Default My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

hi and here i like to show you my camo shell, i was trying my best to make some photos but that was the best i could do, hope you can see a bit. and i like to know how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell, or can i leave it as it is right now and nothing anymore will happen to the leather
    ? so far it is soft and looks just a bit crumbled, but there are two holes in the leather which raise my concern a bit, i think the helmet was stored in a basement at one point in time and no one has taken care of.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell   My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell  

My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell   My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell  

My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell   My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell
    P
    Many

Default Re: My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

Take it outside in that sun and you'll have much better luck with the pics. I'd leave the leather, you'll only make it worse and unnatural looking with any treatment. It won't degrade any more if you keep it stable and dry. I'm not sure the leather belongs with that liner though.

Default Re: My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

Hi,
    very nice 35, helmet, great paintwork, thanks for showing iit,
    Dave.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Take it outside in that sun and you'll have much better luck with the pics. I'd leave the leather, you'll only make it worse and unnatural looking with any treatment. It won't degrade any more if you keep it stable and dry. I'm not sure the leather belongs with that liner though.
    ok thanks, and im not the expert but to me the leather looks as never left the liner

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    very nice 35, helmet, great paintwork, thanks for showing iit,
    Dave.
    thanks and yes i love the paintwork too, i dont want a mint never been out helmet i was searching for this one and after some looking around he found me or i him what ever, i love the look he has

Quote by Swingcat View Post
    ok thanks, and im not the expert but to me the leather looks as never left the liner
    It might well be alright, liners can go strange with the right (or wrong) conditions. It's just the way the strap bales are so corroded and the band itself in spots, but the leather looks in reasonably good nick. And that it's loose from the band in some places.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    It might well be alright, liners can go strange with the right (or wrong) conditions. It's just the way the strap bales are so corroded and the band itself in spots, but the leather looks in reasonably good nick. And that it's loose from the band in some places.
    i think he was wet at one time and or was in a wet place for a long time, still im in love and would buy the same helmet without a second of thinking again, when only he could talk and tell his story

?

The leather has developed a case of rot in a couple of places, the remainder looks pretty stable but it depends whether looks are deceiving or not, in your opinion is the leather flaky all over, ie, crumbly to the touch, does leather dust come off on your fingers easily

Typically the best way to preserve anything is to simply leave it alone. Kept dry at a stable temp, out of direct sunlight, etc, and it will last a long time. Some parts like leather will dry, crack, fall apart, etc over time. Not much you can do about that. But treating it will only take away from the helmet.

Quote by davejb View Post
    The leather has developed a case of rot in a couple of places, the remainder looks pretty stable but it depends whether looks are deceiving or not, in your opinion is the leather flaky all over, ie, crumbly to the touch, does leather dust come off on your fingers easily
    no dust and all stable so far just this 2 holes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast