Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64

Article about: Hi all, Up next we have my no decal Luftwaffe M40 Q64 (another salty example), I can't read the lot number at the rear of the skirt. The lid looks like it has stood the right way up for many

Default My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64

Hi all,
    Up next we have my no decal Luftwaffe M40 Q64 (another salty example), I can't read the lot number at the rear of the skirt. The lid looks like it has stood the right way up for many years due to the contrast in condition between the outside and inside of it. This one also has a liner pin missing from the front right though the liner is held tight by the others and by the look of single bend in the remaining two pins the liner has never been out of the shell. The liner itself is in very good condition and the leather is still supple/flexible, and there is much of the original strap left attached at each side but it has been repaired with some crude stitches some time ago. The inside of the skirt looks to have been repainted at some point and there is three cracks in the crown of the helmet.
    All comments appreciated as always, cheers, Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64   My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64  

My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64   My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64
    P
    Many

Default Re: My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64

Looks to be a DAK luftwaffe lid to me,nice find my friend.

Default Re: My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64

I was never 100% sure that the tropical/sand overpaint had been applied to the outer shell but it really looks that way from the photos, I agree.
    Chris.

Dragging up an old thread here but I had the chance to use some good lighting so I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-shoot this helmet for opinions on the paint. The top coat looks to be a very dark blue with a tropical/tan paint underneath. The inside skirt is also painted the same colour but is in much better condition. Any thoughts on whether it is period?? It certainly looks like it has some age??

Cheers, Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64   My M40 Luftwaffe no decal helmet Q64  

I thought this one might be the one Ken N had on his site a little while ago, Todd just missed it and was cursing for days lol

Strange combo of paint on this one, I can't quite figure out the order of the layers. Is there any of the tan paint on the outside?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I thought this one might be the one Ken N had on his site a little while ago, Todd just missed it and was cursing for days lol

Strange combo of paint on this one, I can't quite figure out the order of the layers. Is there any of the tan paint on the outside?
    Yes, it took me while to work out as well but there is tan paint under the dark blue, if you look at the blue paint patches you can see an area around each one of tan paint peaking out from underneath.

Was the M40 on Ken N's site the minty looking one?

It's probably most visible on these two pictures

- - Updated - -

It's probably most visible on these two pictures

I see, the overpaint and grime makes it look a slightly different shade on the outside.

Yes Ken's was the minty one, a bargain at $750 I think it was. It lasted only moments.

Nice tropical overpaint agree with Kradspam originally probably color of inside. The outside would wear faster and be exposed more than inside nice helmet anyway. timothy