Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet

Article about: I picked this up today in a trade. Got a great deal as well. I believe it is a M1916 but I am not sure. It came from a local military dealer so I felt safe buying it. I finally have a combat

Default My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet

I picked this up today in a trade. Got a great deal as well. I believe it is a M1916 but I am not sure. It came from a local military dealer so I felt safe buying it. I finally have a combat helmet. I couldn't find any markings on the helmet besides on the liner. I can't really tell what it is but it appears to be in the shape of a spade, like on a deck of cards.

Here is a link to the pic, the uploader won't upload it. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7033653/IMG_2890.JPG

Also what would be a fair value for a helmet like this?

Thanks,

Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet   My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet  

My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet   My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet  

My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet   My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet

Good helmet.
    Hard to tell the price,the pictures are kind of dark.
    chris

?

The chin strap is a replacement.
    The helmet is a good one. I like the late war transitionals.
    It would be nice to see better pictures of the paint.

Thanks for the replies. Could the replacement be during war? The leather is dried up and stiff so it seems to be fairly old.

Alec

?

I believe the chinstrap has been added post war.

What would be the reason for adding the chinstraps postwar? They wouldn't have used a helmet with a Nazi symbol on it after the war ended would they? Unless of course it was a collector.

Here are some pictures of it in the sun, it was bright that day so there is a bit of a glare. Sorry about the delay as well. Let me know if these are better.

Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet   My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet  

My new Transitional M16(?) SD Heer helmet  

Most likey a collector added the chin strap not a military. It's an L Bell made helmet. WWI collectors like that make. A bit more rare to see.

Thanks for the info 1918, I love the helmet.