Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My Second Helmet

Article about: Nice M42, some of the original chinstrap is better than any minty one that wouldn't go with the helmet anyways. JMHO

?

Default Re: My Second Helmet

Nice M42, some of the original chinstrap is better than any minty one that wouldn't go with the helmet anyways. JMHO

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Brap,

Looks like an all original luftwaffe issue M42. The poor condition of the liner and chinstrap could be due to poor storage conditions (hot, humid) in a garage or attic between after the war and until it entered your collection.

It could also be a corpse cut helmet... Exposure to blood damages liners (makes them dry, brittle and very dark) and often GIs would use a bayonet or fighting knife to cut a chinstrap off to remove a helmet from a fallen enemy for a souvenir helmet.

I highly suggest you take your helmets outside for photographing! The setup you have creates some harsh shadows that really don't give your helmets justice.

?

Nice lid buddy.

?

Thanks for the information and nice comments guys. I know I need to take them outside for the photos but, I had some extra time last night so I thought would try this thing but you are right outside is better.
    Thanks
    Jay

Quote by Brap View Post
    Thanks for the information and nice comments guys. I know I need to take them outside for the photos but, I had some extra time last night so I thought would try this thing but you are right outside is better.
    Thanks
    Jay
    No offense meant! I take dark photos from time to time... It's inevitable!

?

The guy I purchased it from also has what looks like a fire police double decal helmet with a leather neck protector that covers the back of your neck. Again I don't know much about them. But I think that is what it is. I would have tried to buy that one but, I was low on funds. I also purchased a Dreyse model 1912 9mm pistol from him. So that drained my purchasing power pretty quick.
    I did order a couple of dug relic hemets online and I will put some pictures of them here when they arrive.
    Thanks
    Jay

Very nice helmet congrats on your second if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay ??

?

Thank you guys. I paid about $300 for it.

?

It is a nice and no doubt original M42 Luftwaffe combat helmet Jay
    $300 is a pretty good price too, I reckon you did well.

Brad.

?

Thanks guys
    Jay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast